Shot selection

I hope this is my last post on this topic and that Mr. Lee will respect
my wishes not to be included in his posts. I'll only post again to
defend myself from further personal insults.

The original post was an estimate of how many points Walker is costing
the Celtics from his "bad shot selection", i.e. putting up many low
percentage shots and thus shooting a low percentage. If he chooses his
shots well (i.e. takes high percentage shots), his shooting percentage
will increase. The question, as someone said, is to decide what standard
to hold Walker to; that is, how well would he have to shoot to be declared
to have "average shot selection". And this is really a subjective issue.
So every estimate is based on some subjective assumptions and numbers;
the goal is to choose reasonable ones. I've chosen numbers and assumptions
that I felt were reasonable (not "random") and others have used different
ones.

In any case, I don't feel that any of our estimates deserve to be berated
as "ridiculous" with no justification (especially by someone who professes
to be unable to comprehend the explanation) which is how this "discussion"
began.

I concur that it would be impossible to measure via box scores (and
difficult to even define) some universal "points lost" statistic related
to every event in every game. That, of course, was never my point.

Alex