Re: Walker & talking

-----Original Message-----
From: davide <david.moskowitz@yale.edu>
To: Cecil Wright <cecil@hfx.andara.com>
Cc: Greg Odegaard <gmodegaa@longvred.rmc.com>; Sashi Kumar
<kumarsas@duke.usask.ca>; boston celtics <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Monday, March 02, 1998 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: Walker & talking

>The criticism of Walker's trash talking is a bit misplaced, I think.
>"This trash talking has no place in green & white"?  One of the Celtics'
>(and the league's) all-time greats was an admitted, notorious
>trash-talker.  Yes, he is now coaching the Pacers.

Yep, you're right there, but he didn't come into the league in his first few
seasons shooting barbs at his opponents, wiggling and jiggling when he did
his job.   There is no comparison between the two of them, right now anyway.
Walker has a long, long way to go before it should be drawn.

>Clearly there are better and worse times for talking trash, and its use at
>inappropriate times may be counter-productive.

When Walker can shoot 90% from the line like LB, perhaps I wouldn't be so
anti-trashing.  But for now, he's putting more spotlight on himself which is
certainly counter-productive at the free throw line when you're not a good
FT shooter.  He missed several more last night including during crunch time.
C'mon.

>It's part of Walker's game too, and if he makes mistakes on
>the court, let's not be too hasty in blaming his yapping jaws.

I'm not blaming his yapping for his mistakes on the court, though I believe
it's a mistake for any player with his short length of service in the NBA,
to devote any amount of his energies to crowing instead of scoring,
rebounding and playing solid defense.  I can't name any player who has been
rewarded for showboating.  But I can name several who have been met with an
extra hard foul for their trouble.
I'd just prefer to see him play ball.  If he wants to talk, get him into the
broadcasting or acting professions.  If he wants to win basketball games,
he'll practice those parts of his game which needs improving, like cutting
down on his turnovers, passing out of the double-team, practicing his foul
shooting and being a strong leader on a young team.

Cecil