Re: Minor...improving and steady.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Odegaard <gmodegaa@longvred.rmc.com>
To: Sashi Kumar <kumarsas@duke.usask.ca>; boston celtics <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Monday, March 02, 1998 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: Minor...improving and steady.

>We are nearly at the point where we expect them to win every night, and
>certainly compete to have a chance to win.
>
>Well done guys!
>Greg

I'm glad that WE are feeling optimistic about the C's chances this year.
The fact is though that, from what little I've read, we were lucky to have
won last night.  A team which blows a 25 pt lead in the 4th qtr, while
giving up 43 pts in any one qtr, clearly has a lot of work remaining ahead
of them.

Though the bottowm line may well be that we won, had we lost, Toine's head
may have been requested on a platter!  With Mercer having what has been
described as an off game (3/8 shooting), others had to step up their play.
Apparently Minor and Knight responded.  But our franchise player shot 60%
from the line, and with the final outcome hanging in the balance, of course
they fouled him and gave themselves an opportunity to win the game in the
end.  Thankfully, Stoudamire clanked on off the rim.

To make matters worse, he starts woofing in Rider's face, lighting a fire
under him and giving him added incentive.

We must ask the question what happened to the days when you scored a basket
and hustled back on defense to help out your team?  This trash-talking has
no place in green and white, at least not until we have hung several more
championship banners from the rafters of the Fleet, not that it should
matter.  That's one facet which, aside of his impressive physical skills,
makes Ron Mercer so appealing.  Thus far, I've seen none of that in your
face swagger which disgusts me so.  Anyone who detests the confrontational
style of the Worm must be scratching their heads in puzzlement over Toine's
actions this year.

While I'm at it, is those the kind of actions which should be honored with a
captaincy?  Or does one have little to do with the other?

Cecil