[Fwd: The Celtics next Center]

Nazr  Mohammed pronounced Nah zee, is a junior at the
University of Kentucky who I hope will stay in school and
play his senior year for UK.

His stats are played in 30 games, played in 21.4 minutes per game.
(meaning his is only playing one half the game),
made 144 of 232 field goal attempts for an excellent 62.1%.
He has not attempted a three point field goal this season.
He has made 67 of 104 free throw attempts,
(needs to do much better at the free throw line),
has 7.5 rebounds per game,
has 0.8 assists per game,
and averages 11.8 points per game.

Mohammed is the teams second leading scorer behind
Jeff Shepherd who averages 12.9 points per game.

Seven players average 30 minutes playing time per game on
this UK team, two players average 29 minutes per game,
another player averages 25 minutes, and another player
averages 24 minutes.

In yesrday's game South Carolina's collapsing defense
held Nazr Mohammed scoreless.  That marked the first
time Mohammed did not score since a game at Tennessee
on February 25, 1997, and only the fourth time since his
freshman season.  He'd scored in 39 straight games.

Mohammed did not seem troubled by going scoreless.
Asked to comment, he said pleasantly, "We won by 12.
You said to comment.  I gave you a comment."

Mohammed is a great team player who has certainly
improved since entering UK as a freshman.  He certainly
deserves to be all SEC (South Eastern Conference) but I
don't think he is an All American yet.  That is why I hope
he returns to UK and plays his senior season.  Next year
if he continues to improve, he will probably be an All
American.

Right now, he has great hands and a great attitude.  He just
needs to play more.  In my opinion, his coach doesn't send
the ball into him enough on offense, and doesn't let him
play enough during the games.

I told this list on January 16, 1998, that Nazr Mohammed was
certainly a good big center to watch.  I also said that I
thought he would a good draft choice for the Boston Celtics.

My January 16 post  for those who missed readiing it then, follows:
astky.net>
         To:
             Celtics <celtics@igtc.COM>

I think Walter McCarty was probably the best big man to play center
during Rick Pitino's years at the University of Kentucky.  He was
the center in 1996 when Kentucky won the NCAA championship.

I also think that Nazr (Nah-ZEE) Mohammed 6' 10" junior center
at Kentucky is one of the best big men in the country.  He leads
Kentucky in scoring 13.1 per game, rebounds 7.1 per game,
has 29 blocked shots and is also the leading shooter at 64.6 %.
Mohammed was recruited by Rick Pitino and currently plays
for Tubby Smith.

Nazr Mohammed if he continues to play and improve would
in my humble opinion be a good draft choice for the Boston Celtics
to play the center position.

At Kentucky, Rick Pitino was noted for producing speedy three
point players and not dominant low post players.

Steve Huffman

Steve Huffman