Nowitzki's comments on NBA

The more I read about near-Celtic Dirk Nowitzki, the more I like him. He
seems to have a real head on his shoulders. I took the quotes below from a
ESPN Sportszone story on Dallas recruiting Dirk. I wish I heard quotes like
these from more NBA players and wanne-be players:

>The Mavericks had two big hurdles. First, he wanted Dallas to consent to
him >leaving the team in February to play Olympic qualifying games for his
country. >Don Nelson has agreed to that.

A rare quality in the NBA: loyalty. He is willing to give up a few NBA
dollars to go back to the team and country he loves and play for free.

>Secondly, the Mavericks had to persuade Nowitzki that he's ready for the
NBA >because it had been suggested he wasn't strong enough.

>"It's a big decision that has to be made," Nowitzki said after arriving at
>Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and shooting a few baskets for
>reporters. "I think I'm not ready yet, but they try to convince me that I'm
>ready. ... We'll see."

What? A 19 year old lottery pick has to be convinced that he is ready for
the NBA? This is refreshing when you see so many young players make the
mistake of beliving agents and others that tell them that they are ready for
NBA millions after beating up on high school players. He is actually
concerned about how he will perform *after* he is awarded the big contract.

>On Monday, Nowitzki said he isn't concerned about money -- he could
probably >earn more money in Europe -- and is now considering only whether
he has enough >bulk on his 6-foot-11, 237-pound frame to play in the NBA.

We've heard others say that it's not about the money, but I believe this guy
a little more than someone who turns down $95 million to hold out for $100
million. Apparently Dirk has not attended the Faulk School of Greed.

The complete stories are at:
http://espnet.sportszone.com/nba/news/980628/00755257.html
http://espnet.sportszone.com/nba/news/980629/00756313.html

Nathan A.

Release, Rotation, Splash!

The North Bend Sports Page: http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/arena/2430

Nebraska Cornhuskers, Simply the best.
1994, 1995, 1997...

Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.