Re: LockOUT!

At 09:35 PM 6/29/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Anyone under contract can't play anywhere else.  They can sit.

In theory you're right. In practice, lawyers will do interesting things.
Seems to me players have jumped contracts to play in Europe before. But I
could be wrong. Lots will depend on how courts understand the contracts. A
lockout may just change things. We'll see.

But I don't really expect the union to tell players to go off shore. The
money isn't there. The reality is that the players are worth what the NBA
owners are willing to pay. What the owners are willing to pay depends on
how much they can afford and still make the amount of profit they want. The
unions and owners are playing a big game of chicken. The players have more
to lose though.

> But, who's
>going to pay to go see a joke of a player's league or substitute players.

An interesting question. They tried it in football. There are a whole lot
of people who will jump union lines for a chance at the NBA. Are they as
good as the regular players? Nope. But they'll play hard and that may make
a difference. Some of us are tired of players who don't go all out.

Heck, I'll watch junior high basketball if it's played by well coached
players who play with heart. I'm a backetball fan. Not an NBA fan. Boys,
girls, men, women, grade school, high school, college, pros, what ever. If
the players form a league or the owners try substitutes I'll give them a
chance. If they're worth paying for I'll pay. Frankly the price of
attending a game is getting higher than the value recieved so we may see an
improvement.

I think there are some greedy owners. And some greedy players. But right
now the greedy players are what's killing the pro game.

 Alfred C Thompson II              These opinions are mine and may not
 Teacher, Hacker, Net Surfer   be shared by organizations lucky enough
 act2@tiac.net                 to have me as a member or employee.
 http://www.tiac.net/users/act2/