BLAME

Right now, with a lock out, the fans are the ones who will suffer, if it
goes on too long.  As usual.  Maybe some of us should start putting some
blame on the league.
With all the over-expansion, they've cut the talent base.  Basketball
has been so popular, perhaps they over extended?  Perhaps with all their
promotion of Jordan, Kobe, etc., they've put it in all young people's
minds that if they can “play like Mike” and earn megabucks, that
justifies everything.  Perhaps too much emphasis, for too long, has been
on a single player, not on the team concept, which is what basketball,
after all, is about.  Another case in point is Rodman. The Bulls and the
League let him get away with too much, and have sent a very bad signal
to the young fans and/or players.  Rodman isn't just colorful, he's
sick. Breaking the rules is okay?  I believe the League has a duty to
set standards.  As for Gaston, I believe he's sincerely trying to make a
statement, that he won't be held up for that kind of money at the risk
of not being able to get other players they might need.  He's
responsible for the bottom line, you know.  What about the
stockholders?  The Celtics are a public corporation, are they not?
There are many, many expenses involved with owning an NBA team,
including the plane, travel, medical, the facilities, etc., etc.  None
of that comes out of the player's salaries. All I'm trying to say is
perhaps you're a little too quick to blame Gaston.
Better to blame the Timber Wolves for setting the precedent.

Dorine