Let's not sign anyone

	Drafting Pierce means that signing a free agent forward (Pippen,
Gugliotta, McDyess) is out.  The only center that would actually help us
is Jason Williams.  He's a great rebounder and interior player and would
give us a solid starting five.  And signing him would also cripple New
Jersey.  Geiger?  How much better is he than Andrew DeClerq.  He's not
worth anything to us let alone $7M per year.  Ratliff and Stewart are
basically more athletic versions of Travis Knight.  Neither of them can
bang around with real centers on a consistent basis.

	If we can't sign Jason Williams, let's just sit tight with our 24
foul, four headed monster (DeClerq, Travis, Tabak, and Pervis).  Next
summer when the cap goes up again (and we can renounce McCarty and Dontae
if necessary), we go after someone.

	Who's available in '99?  Eric Dampier of Golden St. will be coming
to the end of his three year rookie contract as well as Potapenko and
Ilgauskus in Cleveland.  Vin Baker will also be free (although not quite a
center).  Ilgauskus and Dampier are definitely better than what is
available now.  The only risk here is that we have to hold off on
resigning Antoine until after a center is signed.

	The lockout may actually be a blessing in disguise.  If Pitino
were able to sign free agents starting July 1, he would probably get a
mediocre player now (just like Travis last year) and another one when the
cap goes up in Auguest (like Mills last year).

	If DC is renounced by Philly, signing him for a year (with a
Celtic option on the second year) would be worth a try.

	Assuming no trades are in the works, I'm in favor of picking up
the options on both Bowen and Edney for next year.  Edney was showing
improvement (especially with his jumper) towards the end of the season.

Jeremy