Pierce

The more I think about it, the more I think that Pierce solves lots of
problems for the Celts.  Obviously, he's a scoring three with great
potential.  He gives us four top players, each capable of being an all
star.  But he also gives us a sort of Antoine-insurance.

My hopeful scenario is that Antoine will come to the realization that 15 or
16 million is enough per year and accept a compromise--that being a
champion in Boston is preferable to being "the man" for some two-bit
franchise.  I do want him to stay.

But if he puts "market value" (give me a break) above sanity and team,
then Pierce is our insurance.  He is a twenty point, six rebound man as a
three (that's not too much to suggest).  We (reluctantly) trade Walker for
a very good #4 and a draft choice, and we're not too much worse off of
our '97-'98 performance.

With someone who can rebound and hit a 15 foot jumper at four,
with Popeye to back him up, we would have to re-orient a bit, but I could
live with that.  Pierce and Mercer would get the shots and we would
need Pitino's scoring center.  Just a possibility, folks; perhaps a real one.

I don't know the odds on Walker and Falk both being realistic.

Gene