draft

It looks like the draft can be broken down into a few categories:

top players:
 Bibby
 Olowokandi
 Pierce

second-tier:
 Carter
 Hughes
 Jamison
 LaFrentz
 Traylor

after that:
 Doleac
 Mohammed
 Nowitzki
 Lewis
 Harrington

I'm beginning to think that maybe the Celtics could get someone who
could start at some point during the season at center or forward with
the #10 pick. Maybe Pitino will keep the pick after all, especially
since he's supposedly been unable to package it with Knight.

As for trades with Walker to move up in the draft, I think the only way
it could happen is if Pitino felt it would enable him to get another
good-great starter as well as a high draft pick. Even so, I wouldn't
think he would do it unless he was convinced that Walker couldn't be
re-signed.

The rumor about Walker, Minor, #10 for Camby, Christie, #4 was very
interesting and plausible if Pitino likes Camby. Does anyone know if
he's ever said anything to that effect? I've seen Camby's name mentioned
numerous times in trade rumors and I wonder why that is.

Now let's assume this actually happened. Camby is a power forward and
could probably be given a contract extension for a relatively cheap price.
The trade leaves the Celtics with surplus talent at shooting guard and
holes at center and small forward. I would think a possible next step at
this point would be to attempt to move up and take Olowokandi at #2. Toronto
reportedly offered the #4 and Christie and was refused; but I would assume
that Vancouver would go for the #4 and Mercer. As a bonus, Gaston won't be
forced to refuse to pay Mercer his market value and Christie is signed
long-term for relatively little. The Celtics will still have their cap
money left to sign a starting small forward.

The lineup is then:
1. Anderson	Barros
2. Christie	Bowen
3. <Free agent>	McCarty
4. Camby	Knight
5. Olowokandi	DeClerq

Doesn't really look to me like a team that's going to be contending for
a championship unless Olowokandi is going to be a dominant center,
and that's really the key to the trade.

Pitino would need to push Camby to his full potential. The free agent
would have to be pretty impressive also.

Alex