Re: Hot topics

-----Original Message-----
From: Meninno, James A. <JMENINNO@PARTNERS.ORG>
To: 'Celtics@igtc.com' <Celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Friday, June 19, 1998 11:27 AM
Subject: Hot topics

>Frankly, the biggest reason the Bulls were able to have their
>"dynasty" is that they were able to sign Pippen to a long and reasonable
>contract.

I would think that the name "Jordan" may have had a little to do with it as
well.

>As far as these cheerleaders go, I don't think it is so far fetched that
>this is part of a number of changes to make the team seem more up to
>date to the players.  Tradition is great, but do the players understand
>or care about it?  I can see why these quaint traditions of ours would
>seem backwards.  As long as we keep the important traditions of hard
>work, desire to win etc., who cares about the presentation?

My feeling is if we have to have cheerleaders to appease these current day
players, they could be in the wrong profession.  The bottom line is winning,
not appearance, but if that is a concern of the players, I, for one, don't
feel they are concentrating on their job.  As far as the tradition is
concerned, it may be more important to the longtime Celtic supporter than to
the newcomer, but that doesn't make it any less relevant.  That's one of the
things opponents used to talk about most when they played the C's.  The
whole Celtic aura and mystique.  That's important to me. I don't see the
problem with giving new players an education on what being a Celtic player
means and how special it is.  There should be no apologies for being proud
of the greatest basketball franchise in NBA history.  Bringing players
aboard who can buy into that spirit is more important than cheerleading,
with all due respect to the pro rah-rahs.

Cecil