Re: responses to trade thoughts

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Alex Wang wrote:

> Cecil Wright writes:
> > I am confused by the willingness to give up Mercer in any deal with the
> > flashes of brilliance he displayed last year.  If we were to draft a
> > surefire talent, such as Mercer, would that player be constantly looking
> > over his shoulder anticipating a trade?  It takes players a period of
> > adjustment before they become familiar with the coach and his system as
> > well as his teammates.  I'm not sure it's such a tremendous benefit to
> > those who are holdovers to go through this year in and year out.
>
> I agree that Mercer has shown flashes of brilliance and would not suggest
> dumping him for nothing. But this doesn't translate to him being untouchable.
> There must be some combination of cap room, draft picks, and players that
> would make this an excellent trade. (I think "a superstar player and Mike
> Bibby" is far, far overrating Mercer's talent.)

My response was predicated on your scenario number 3 reagarding a trade
of Anderson, Mercer or both.  To lose each of them, would require, at
least my distorted view, a superstar player and Mike Bibby.  I do not
feel I'm overrating Mercer's ability at all.

I recall that there were similar
> grumblings when Billups was about to be traded and nobody is complaining now.

My argument for keeping Billups was that giving up on a rookie player
may come back to haunt you.  2 years from now, he may prove to be a
fantastic player.  Judging on a half season of play can be a mistake, but
then hey, even Walt Frazier signed with Cleveland after brilliant seasons
in New York.  Though he was at the end of his career, not the beginning.