Re: Bird vs. jordan

I third this concept and add a few cents more:

By the standards put down by the esteemed Dan Forant, Russell is hands down
the greatest player in the history of league.  I have bantied the idea that
though he is a great PG, Stockton will retire not one of the greats due to
his likely inability to winning a title.  This is the standard for
determining greatness; Being the leader of a great team.  Russell beats
them all. Save for scoring, and Russ didn't BECAUSE HE DIDN'T HAVE TO,
Russell controlled the entire game like MJ only wishes.  For those who
might not agree, go back to comments made by each at the presentation of
the MVP this year to MJ by BR.  MJ is smart enough to know who is at the
top of the heap.

With no disprespect to our esteemed Bill Cooper, yesterday's game shows the
depth to which the talent pool has dropped in this league, in shooting and
virtually all aspects of the game.  The dilution of talent is shocking,
making for most games to be complete boors.  For fans of the game, all but
a few games in this years playoff season have been a comedy of errors to
some degree.  Look at game 1, all critical parties and critics noted how
poorly both teams played.  You rarely heard this about a game from the 60's
or more recently the great 80's.  The games were played to the peak of
talent and ability.  It is easy for some to put MJ on a pedestal, but if he
were playing during the heydays of the game, with this team he would be
fighting for his life just to get to the finals (oh sorry that is exactly
the scenario played out a week ago).

To compare Bird to MJ or to Russell for that matter, is pointless.  MJ is
certainly the greatest player of his era (the 90's), but it is all relative
to the poor overall condition to the league.  Top 5 at best.

One name forgotten in this entire discussion of greatness is George Mikan.
Who defined the game in the first 10 years of the league, won nearly as
many titles and like Wilt led to rules changes to keep him down.  He must
be mentioned in the top 10 players of all time.   Arguments?

BTW I too have had it with the incessant NBC bumper music.  Please change
the track on the record next year.

Lastly though not a forum for this, I can not recommend more highly "The
Truman Show" at the flicks.  A wonderful film, even for those who dislike
Carrey. One of the best for sure.  See it with a loved one soon.

Greg