re:facials

At 16:10 4/06/98 +0200, Joe Hironaka wrote:
>Hi:
>
>Regarding putting a hand in a shooters face, I do it fairly often
>because I'm very short for a center, the position I play on defense for
>my UN team.  During a tournament last week in Italy, one referee
>politely told me he would call it as a foul the next time I tried it,
>and so I stopped. Is this only a foul under European/International
>rules? Or do all refs have the leeway to call it as an unsportsmanlike
>technical, even if a defensive foul wasn't committed according to the
>rulebook?
>

>P.S. Out of curiosity, is shouting, making loud footsteps or clapping
>your hands near the shooter a defensive violation in a regulation
>basketball game?
Hmmm I think I can answer this question, so I'll do my once yearly come out
of lurking mode.

Ok according to FIBA rules (the international governing body for basketball)
in Article 52. Technical foul by a player it states.

(1) Technical fouls by a player are all player fouls which do NOT involve
contact with an opponent.

(2) A player shall not disrgard admonitions by Officials or use
unsportsmanlike tactics such as:

a.  Disrepectfully addressing or contacting an Official, the Technical
Commisioner, the scorers or oponents.

b.  Using language or gestures likely to offend or to incite the spectators.

c.  Baiting an opponent or obstructing his vision by waving his hands near
his eyes.
.
.
.
.
 I think for international rules/games 2c answers your first question.  As
for your second question, if we look at section 4, it says

Technical infractions which are deliberate or unsportsmanlike or gives the
offender an unfair advantage, shall be penalised proptly with a technical foul.

As I believe the shouting, clapping etc. is unsportsmanlike behaviour and
can give the offender an unfair advantage then it is illegal.

Time to go back into lurking mode.

Dave