Re: Celtics/NBA Notes - June 1, 1998

I guess this shows how much May's knows. Chicago can be in the hunt for NO ONE
without MJ retiring or releasing him out right. MJ himself is over the cap!!!
So even if Pippen and Rodman leave there is nothing the bulls can do.
Houston is in a simular situation, even with Drexler leaving they are way
over the cap unless they do alot of relasing or retiring. So in short
unless these two teams do alot of player movement they are in the hunt for
NOBODY!!!
JIm

At 07:03 PM 6/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
>                     Possible Trades
>
>The gap between the have's and the have-not's may increase in the Atlantic
>Division, as Peter Vecsey reports in a recent column that Pat Riley plans
to shake
>things up in Miami this summer.  He's "offered Voshun Lenard and either PJ
Brown or
>Jamal Mashburn for Latrell Sprewell."   Vecsey's response: "I can't
envision the
>Warriors doing better than that."   Other deals are also in the works, or
at least
>that's what Riley hopes is the case, as the NY Post columnist notes, Riley
has
>"offered to package Mashburn and Brown for Glen Rice and other goodies..."
but that
>deal doesn't appear likely to happen.  One that could occur is Elden
Campbell to
>Orlando for Horace Grant.  Vecsey seems to think, that deal makes a lot of
sense for
>both clubs.
>
>On the free agent front, if the Ricktator wants to pursue Corliss
Williamson instead
>of Matt Geiger, he's going to have to contend with Sacramento who doesn't
want to
>lose him, and Houston who may make Williamson their top priority, now that
it looks
>like Rod Strickland may re-sign with the Wizards.
>

>                      Pitino's Real Big Man
>
>When all is said and done, the best free agent center available to the
Celtics may be
>7-8 North Korean Michael Ri, who in a recent game against a Chinese team
scored
>fifty.  Ri, who's favorite player is Michael Jordan, has been called a
George Muresan
>with "skills."  Unfortunately, it looks like Orlando may have the "inside
track" on
>signing him, when he eventually receives from the U.S. State Department,
the right to
>be gainfully employed in America.  Any team trying to sign him at the
present time,
>would be, as Peter May mentioned in Sunday's Boston Globe, in violation of
the
>"United States' Trading With The Enemies Act."  But a waiver may be on the
way.
>One thing not in his favor, is his age, as at 28, he'd be an old rookie.
>

>           Peter May's Consensus Top Five Picks In The Draft
>
>1. LA Clippers: Mike Bibby
>2. Vancouver Grizzlies: Paul Pierce
>3. Denver Nuggets: Michael Olowokandi
>4. Toronto Raptors: Raef LaFrentz
>5. Golden State Warriors: Antawn Jamison
>

>Peter May On An Unexpected Complication To The Celtics Signing Matt Geiger
>
>"We hear that Matt Geiger may have told his housekeeper in Charlotte to
forward his
>belongings to Boston.  Hmm.  Now, here's a potential fly in the
Geiger-to-Boston