Re: Best of all time

>Gentlemen and ladies,  it's an old argument but I will weigh in again with my
>opinion.  Basketball is a team sport in which each member of the team must
>contribute, even those who don't see much PT because they have to work hard in
>practice to scrimmage the regulars.  The goal in basketball is not to
>score the
>most individual points or awards but rather to win the big prize, the
>championship banner and ring.  Thus, while individual accomplishments are
>great
>and fun to watch, debate, and appreciate, the highest accolades must go to
>team
>accomplishments.  The greatest team in the history of the NBA so far is
>without
>a doubt the Russell led Celtics dynasty of the late 50's and all of the 60's.
>Think about it: the Celtics won every championship in the 60's except the '67
>one.  The one man who held constant over this entire span was Bill Russell.
>Granted he had some great hall of fame players with him in the likes of Cousy,
>Sharman, Havlicek, Jones-S & KC et al but it was Russell who made it all
>happen
>with his defense, shot blocking, rebounding, clutch play and above all-- the
>intensity and willingness to lay it all on the line.  I think others close to
>his caliber include Magic, Jordan, & Bird but none of them are above him
>and no
>one else other than those 3 mentioned come close to being in the same category
>as Russell.  I see him as The Man in the first 50+ years of the NBA hands
>down.
>Now I know there are many who never saw him play and see him as perhaps some
>icon from the past.  My only response to you is, too bad, you really missed a
>treat because when the Celtics went to war with Russell you could be damn sure
>they'd win.
>
>As for the Bulls, I know there's a lot of Bulls haters on the list but my
>thinking on this is as follows: Jordan is indeed a once in a lifetime
>player and
>if you're a BB fan there's no way you can't appreciate his skill, talent and
>class.  The Bulls play team ball and know how to tighten down on defense.
>Their
>record speaks for itself.  If the Celtics can't win it I don't really care who
>does as long as it's not the Lakers.  The Bulls I can stomach.  And yes, it
>would be ok for Utah to win it but I really think the Bulls will pull it out
>again.  If they do it will validate in my mind the greatness of Jordan forever
>as he is obviously past his prime.  I hope he retires after this year leaving
>all basketball fans with great memories of his incredible talents. The
>Bulls as
>a team are in no way better than the early Celtics dynasty.
>
>Just my opinions but I'm sure I'm right ;)

>Bob

  Bob, I can't say enough about those opinions. You are absolutely right on
every one of your points.The one thing that most people do not factor in
when they look at talent is that B-BALL IS A TEAM GAME! To truly be great,
no matter how much skill you have- you have to fit your abilities into the
Team Scheme!
Wilt Chamberlain had the stats, Russell the championships. Bird, Magic were
team players. So is Jordan. Shaq just doesn't get it, he gets his , and
every body stand around and watches. It is so good to see comments from
someone who really knows whats important when discussing the relative
talents of players. The only stat that counts is ," Did he WIN?"
                                               MIchael DiZio