Re: RP & Williams

K. Kveraga wrote:

>...right after Pitino dumped Williams, one of Boston's sportswriters (May? Ryan?) wrote that his litmus test for Pitino was how he was going to deal with Williams. According to the scribe, Pitino saw through the gaudy numbers and sparkli
> repertoire the selfish stat chaser etc. etc. that Eric was, and promptly rid the Celtics of this cancer, thus passing the litmus test with flying colors. (Can't guarantee the exact details, but that was the gist). I was surprised, to say the least, about the writer's opinion of Eric, since I had never thought of him as a Todd Day type. Obviously, a scribe is closer to the action than the fans are, as fans usually don't get to fly on the team plane, sit at the press table, and hold private conver
> players and coaches. Another (remote) possibility is that the guy, for one reason or another, was trying to rationalize the departure of a talented young forward.
> I wonder if anybody on the list would agree with the sportswriter, and why.

I remember that column--it was by Bob Ryan, who is probably the dean of
basketball writers.  Ryan has seen it all, knows what he's talking
about, and would certainly have said so if he thought it was a bad
trade.
--
Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI

Are you connected with women's college volleyball? Visit
this site for a look at a talented potential recruit:
	http://www.netcom.com/~mdynon/Diane1.html