Star Calls; Joe Smith

Mike Dynon wrote:

> Good points, Dorine, but for me it's more of what's called on others
> when Jordan has the ball.  No one is allowed to make a good play against
> him.  However, as far as the fans deciding on the stars, the NBA will
> always influence that.

One example comes quickly to mind:  In the opening game against the Bulls,
Chauncey Billups took a beautiful charge from Michael Jordan at the top of
the key.  Of course, the officials called Billups for the foul anyway.

Mishra wrote:

> We can't get Smith without giving a 1 or 2 1st round draft pick. In
> addition Golden State is trying to create cap room so they won't take
> Brown and with Donyell playing so well, they have no use for McCarthy.

> I think Joe Smith fits our system to a tee. He can play SF or  PF, is
> very quick, has a great elevation and a nice offensive game. With Smith
> in our lineup opposing teams won't be able to guard Walker with small
> forwards.

It would be nice to have a frontcourt of Walker and Smith, backed up by
McCarty.  But, I fail to see how the Celtics could realistically trade for
Smith, without giving up Billups or Mercer.  Our number one pick next year
will most likely be a low lottery pick, and the Celtics, with Smith, will
probably be a playoff team after that.

Is Smith (assuming he signs with the Celtics) worth Billups or Mercer?

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu