Wake-up call

Dorine Pratt wrote:

> On another note, I think maybe the NBA got a wake up call.  If they feel
> the fans are upset with the calls not made against the stars of the
> game, they'll do something.  As long as we're silent on the subject
> they'll let it continue.  It's particularly true with Jordan.  He
> commits many fouls in each and every game and they're seldom called.  He
> doesn't need that help, he's good enough without it.  I've never liked
> the fact that the NBA feels it has to promote certain players as the
> next star coming up - the stars will be made according to their level of
> play and their skills, and their ability to entertain because of those
> skills.  Let the fans decide who the stars are, not the NBA.

Good points, Dorine, but for me it's more of what's called on others
when Jordan has the ball.  No one is allowed to make a good play against
him.  However, as far as the fans deciding on the stars, the NBA will
always influence that.

Witness Kobe Bryant.  Last year, he sat on the bench.  This year, he's
second in All-Star voting and being crowned the next MJ. He's flashy, he
plays for the Lakers, they show his dunks on Inside Stuff and
nba.com--there's no question the NBA is promoting him.  And with
perception becoming reality, the media start beating the "new MJ" drum;
the kids stuff the ballot box (and All-Star voting is all about one
thing: money); Kobe moves closer to "you-can't-make-a-play-against-him"
status; and--to our chagrin--the Lakers become more of a force.

Now, is Antoine as good as Kobe? Yes.  Is he promoted by the NBA? No.
Does Antoine deserve to be only 7th in voting, while Kobe is second?
No.  I don't see a whole lot changing.
--
Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI

Are you connected with women's college volleyball? Visit
this site for a look at a talented potential recruit:
	http://www.netcom.com/~mdynon/Diane1.html