Re: The Last Banner

> Mike, the book:  The Last Banner.
>
>  Yeah, I just got done reading it about 2 weeks ago.  Besides telling the
>  story of that phenomenal season, it's purpose is to prove that the
>  1985-86 Celtics was the greatest team of all time.  I really agree with
>  Bob Ryan's arguement that the 85-86 C's could have beaten the Bulls of
>  the mid-90's.  His greatest point was that we had such quality depth.
>  Back then, a team could still afford to have 3 or 4 future Hall of
>  Famers; now, there's no way for that to ever occur.  Besides Jordon and
>  Pippen (Rodman - NO WAY!), those are the only two Hall of Famers.  Just
>  reading about that front court of the C's made me remember just how
>  dominating they were.  Anyway, yeah it's sure a good book.

Not to split hairs or anything, but wasn't Peter May the one who wrote this
book (and also The Big Three, which was mentioned in the original post)? Maybe
*I* am wrong, but that seems to be how I remember them... I read both of these
books in the past three years -- Actually read The Big Three twice, and pretty
soon it will be time to read The Last Banner again! I am fully behind the '98
version of the team and I don't consider the fascination with these books to
be living in the past; just remembering times when I felt like *I* was on top
of the world!

I remember when I was little, my dad telling me stories about Roberto
Clemente. (Sorry folks, he never was a basketball fan -- but today he'll take
the Celts over anyone else due to MY allegiance). This was also unusual
because he isn't a really big sports fan at all -- just a casual Pittsburgh
fan. But he always spoke about Clemente with admiration and awe. He also tried
to express to me the even greater admiration that my immigrant grandfather had
for Roberto. Someday I want to be able to talk to my own son or daughter about
the greatest pro basketball team to ever "lace them up." I'll tell them
stories when they young, but as they grow older I'll just hand them "The Last
Banner" and let them re-create images in their own minds.

PEACE!!!

--Tom