The Big 3 Ride Again

Someone asked for postings from list participants who were there, so...

I have a client who is gracious enough to send me tickets for one game a year.  I called for this one the day
the 97-98 schedule was announced -- and that was before I knew they'd be retiring Chief's number.  I'd been
looking forward to Sunday for months and I wasn't disappointed (well, except for the fact that the refs
continue to give Antoine absolutely no respect at all in the low post...).

What a day.  I remember what the Rangers did for Messier when he returned to MSG as a Canuck; I thought the
pre-game and 3rd quarter tributes to Larry outclassed that (not to mention the extremely cool juxtaposition of
John Sebastian and Lynyrd Skynyrd).  "He is their coach, but he's still OUR legend."  HELL, YES.  He deserved
every cheer he got.  He wasn't suited up; it's not like anyone was cheering on the Pacers (Reggie Miller noted
after the game that a number of the Bird highlights shown were against Indiana).  Keep that in mind, Mr.
DeClerq -- you had a great game, but I don't need you telling me to shut up any more than I need the friggin'
"Noise Meter" telling me when to cheer.  (Which reminds me -- after the Celtics make the playoffs, can we
dispense permanently with the Noise Meter, the Parquet Patrol and the cheap contests?  I get enough of that
garbage when I go see the Nets!)

As for the Chief, he was always my favorite (ON the court, anyway) during those years for the reasons Tommy
and Red mentioned -- his quiet, fierce determination to win and his absolute dedication to the team concept.
It was great to see him get his due for all he did for the Celtics.  It was great to hear that he appreciated
our support.  It was great to hear Laimbeer get slammed and booed all over again.  The best part, of course,
was that the other numbers on that banner were all represented -- Larry, Kevin, DJ and Reggie's family.

I hope seeing that ceremony made a lasting impression on the current Celtics.  I also hope that 15-20 years
from now I'm back at the FleetCenter watching #s 8, 5 and -- who knows?  maybe even 4 added to that banner.
Antoine, Ron, and Chauncey should take note that $20 million a year from Vancouver can't buy the kind of
tributes that Larry and Robert got yesterday.

Michael Gooen

P.S.  Of course, it still sucks that they lost.  I hope Larry's second visit to the FleetCenter as an opposing
coach is far less pleasant for him.  And I don't think it would be the least bit inappropriate for Celtics
fans to use that occasion to point out how dorky he looks in a suit.