Re: Bird the Hick

Matt Healy wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>
> >Bird's statement about the All Star game "I have no desire to coach an All
> >Star game" and "I have no desire to go to an All Star game" Just who the
> >hell does he think he is? No wonder he never really got along w/McHale.
> >Another quote "I have no ties to this building, I loved that place next
> >door" You just know anybody else would have said something nice about the
> >new facility and the new Celtic start.
>
> Man, what the heck is your problem?  So he doesn't care about coaching the
> all-star game?  Big deal.  He cares about winning the real games.  What's
> wrong with that?  Why is that arrogance?  And to say he has no ties to the
> building is wrong, too?  He established his hall of fame career in the
> Boston Garden.  OF COURSE HE HAS NO TIES TO THIS BUILDING!  He never played
> there!  I would love to see how you would like standing up under the level
> of criticism you put on him.
>
> He's living in the past. After the
> >way the Celts gave him and his team the run around Sunday I think the
> >Pacers are a little overblown, even though their #2 in the Eastern
> >Conference. He could be a great promoter of the NBA, but he isn't. He
> >should realize the applause will start to fade as time moves on. Love ya
> >Larry, but your still a hick.
>
> I really wonder what is causing this irritation for you.  This is truly
> irrational, absurd, and cheap criticism.  It sounds personal.  Did he beat
> you up or something?
>
> Matt

Hear!  Hear!  Matt,

BTW, why should Bird say *anything* nice about the Fleet Center???  All I ever
hear about the new place is that it's cold, lacks character, and the seats are
generally too far away from the action.  I honestly can't say I've heard anybody
in this forum compliment the Fleet Center.

Joe.