Re: Cheap shot journalism

->Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Larry did not want day to day
>work, and the Celts allowed him as much involvement as he would take.
>When he warmed up to coaching it was too late for Boston; and he
>repeatedly said he didn't want the job anyway.  Also, to hire Pitino
>seemed more of a sure thing than even Mr. Bird.
>
>In sum, the article was cheap.
>
>Gene  (I might have to call Roy and see what the problem is)

There was some mention of Bird being bitter with the Celts in the Pitino
piece done on ESPN a while back. Pitino is the one that mentioned it but he
skirted going into details. I don't think it is so much with how the
organization treated Bird as much as it has to do with the fact that it got
to be as bad as it did. I do remember Bird bringing up the fact that now he
wouldn't be overruled when it comes time to make personnel moves when he
first took the IN job. The article here only looks to build up hype as only
the NBA can.

On another note let me point out that penciling in Walker for 20 Mil is
pointless at this juncture. The collective bargaining agreement is set to be
renegotiated this summer. IMO the single most important issue is a limit on
one player's salary. Most likely this will be done as a percentage of total
salary per team. The NBA is very much aware of this and has recognized this
as a looming problem which must be addressed now. It is hard to say what the
membership's (players) stance will be on this. Remember the last star player
revolt was squashed.

Yet another note. Using the 3rd pick in the draft measuring stick to gauge
Chauncey. What must be taken into account is we are comparing apples to
oranges here. The talent pool in the college ranks is severly depleted by
early entries to the draft.  Where would Chauncey have been taken 10 years
ago? I for one like the guy and he has improved over the course of the
season. If you recall last years third pick, Abdur-Raheem was being called a
bust for the first part of last season but he turned it around.

Finally what did Roy have to say Gene. I would like to see him get some more
time out there.

Art Silva