WNBA

   Perhaps you should pay attention more. I do believe the WNBA is being
'crammed down my throat' because of the fact that the women players are
being included in the men's All-Star festivities. Think about this: If the
WNBA was a separate entity and was not associated with the NBA, would the
women players be in the 2-ball contest? I highly doubt it. Conversely, I'm
sure a lot of people would raise holy hell if there were NBA players
competing in WNBA events. They would complain that the men have their own
forum and shouldn't be taking up women's opportunities. I agree both ways.
I say I am being 'forced' to watch it because if I want to watch the men
play, I have to watch the women, too.

   I also think that it is unfair that only players from WNBA cities get
to compete. Great shooters like Joe Dumars, Chris Mullin, Dan Majerle,
Dale Ellis, Chuck Person, and others are ineligible to play simply because
of the location of their team. In a lot of places that would be considered
discrimination. That's another beef I have with this event, and it IS
directly related to the inclusion of the WNBA. This all comes on the heels
of the fact that they eliminated the most exciting event (at least it was
in the past) of the weekend.

  And another thing, boys' high school ball and women's basketball are
very similar in a number of ways. One, the heights of the players are
about the same. Two, the skills are very similar, and three, the
athlecitism is similar, if not tilted toward the boys. This of course is
on the average across the country, from the smallest Midwest town to New
York City. I come from a small town in upstate New York, and I go to
Syracuse University. I am bigger and stronger and more skilled than any
woman on the team, and I am only 6'2" and was a bench player in high
school. I'm pretty sure if I got some high school buddies together we
would give these girls a beating, and they're a major conference Division
I scholarship team. I've played against them many times and that is
what happens. What is the point? The point is that women players, God
bless them, are for the most part physically unable to play with men
on a consistent basis. It's a medical fact. I will say this, the teamwork
and discipline and fundamentals that they display is phenomenal. I wish
everyone played with as much pride and hustle as they do.

   Finally, why would I have to enjoy my daughter's activity in order to
support it? If you had a daughter and she played tennis, and you hated
tennis with a passion and though it was the most boring thing in the
world, would you not go to her matches? No, you would go and put a happy
face on and try to stay interested and show your support. You would not
have to like it, but you would be there. That's all I am saying is that I
would do the same.

   Jeremy P. Ryan
   jeryan@mailbox.syr.edu

   Boston Celtics -- 16 NBA World Championships
   Syracuse Orangemen -- 1996 NCAA Final Four
   New York Yankees -- 1996 World Series Champions