Ramblings

I did not see tonight's game but watched the boxscore throughout. Some
observations:

Billups - Even though he had another bad shooting night I'd take his stat line
from tonight's game every night and be quite happy. Will he ever be a top
notch point? I don't know - but he IS a player. I don't believe in trading
young players for veterans unless we are that close to competing for the
championship. We aren't. Billups as part of a deal for Stoudamire though would
be tempting - except I keep thinking about how Chauncey shut him down
(especially after Damon lit us up a few times last year).

Walker - Inconsistent? Yes!  A great player in the making? Yes! Antoine works
too hard to ever be compared to Dominique - the rebounds speak for themselves.
There will be many nights when he carries the team and there will be nights he
drops them. The drops will decrease with maturity and experience.

Mercer - I like Mercer. That said, why does he always get a free pass on the
list while we crucify Billups? When Ron goes 4-14 there is no criticism. I
think Mercer may very well be the next Steve Smith but there is still a little
fear in me that he could be another Greg Minor. He needs to assert himself
more regularly.

DeClerq - There will be nights when he doesn't get much done but it will never
be for lack of effort. I hope he stays a Celtic a long time (just not as our
starting center!)

McCarty - As exciting a player as there is at times, and as inconsitent as any
at other times. This is like his rookie year - he never played with the Knicks
last year. He will get better. A much better fit for this team than Mills.

Thomas - Recently someone on the list was wishing for a young Oakley. Anyone
else (besides me) see it? The Knicks did when they drafted him. He was
supposed to be groomed to be Oakley's successor. Very nice game tonight
against a solid front line.

Bowen - see Declerq. Also still a rookie albeit an older one.

Knight - Not the answer at center. Would make a good backup to a real center.
His salary isn't that outrageous - I'm sure someone would take him off our
hands if that was what Pitino wanted.

Ellison, Barros, Minor, Brown - Imagine the player we could buy with these
salaries! Barros &  Ellison can contribute on occasion. Minor can play - just
not here anymore - and as a result his value is nil. Brown would be a useful
12th man on a very good team if he had a 1 yr/1 million dollar salary. Since
he doesn't, he's an albatross (not to be confused with a montross!).

Edney - A stop gap player. Contract expires at season's end. So does his
Celtic career.

Dontae Jones - A project. Should be the 12th man and get to play at garbage
time. Unfortunately there isn't enough room on the roster.

George