RE: Basketball Joanna

Teresa Joyce wrote:

Sorry, couldn't resist this one....

Why not? What's wrong with having a WNBA team?  How does it affect the NBA
in a negative way? "This 2-ball crap" as you so eloquently say, is a
excercise in basketball fundamentals (shooting, passing, rebounding,
positioning, playing under pressure). How is that "crap" compared to a
contest that has grown old and stale? (that might qualify IT as crap,
actually)

I wouldn't be threatened by a female takeover of the NBA. Nor do I think
the NBA will be co-ed anytime soon. But if, for some reason, that strikes
fear into your heart, you may want to write a letter to the NBA stating
your position. Those of us on this list (read: Celtics fans) don't give a
"crap" about your fears!

Theresa

P.S. On the positive side, I personally would be thrilled to have female
athlete role models to inspire young girls to partipate in athletics, stay
healthy and/or strive to be a pro athlete. This whole movement of women
getting recognition for their athletic ability AND, now for actually
getting paid to be an athlete inspires me, although I missed the wave in
terms of my athleticly prime years. The Summer Olympics were an excellent
example of the contribution women make to sports.

Or think of it this way -those of you that have
wives/girlfriends/sisters/mothers- if a girl grows up playing sports,
seeing people that look like her playing sports (pro women), she is more
likely to be interested in sports, and join you in watching them.

I'm not trying to be PC, but could we get off the women-bashing already?
I'm starting to feel not welcome as a woman on this list. We're supposed to
be talking about the Celtics and, last time I checked, there were no women
playing for them.

All right Teresa!!!!!

It's about time someone shut up these whiny men who apparently don't appreciate women's sports TSK...TSK, men. I've been bored with that slam dunk contest for years (mostly because, with the exception of the one person who made the contest last year watchable, Kobe Bryant, they don't let good players in any more... no Webber... no Grant Hill... what's the point?) so I was happy to see it go, and even happier that they're utilizing both the leagues this year.

I personally don't understand why there wasn't a league long before this but, that's just me. The WNBA may play a different way, but it's still exciting. That's all that matters isn't it...

See ya in the funny papers

Kevin