Sherman Douglas & the Point Position

	Who did the Celtics acquire when they unloaded Sherman Douglas a few years
ago?  [I hope the answer isn't Todd Day!]  Might Sherm still rank as the
best true point guard the Celtics have had since....hmm....I don't know,
John Bagley?  I always liked Sherman's feisty, aggressive style of play,
which really helped compensate for his lack of height.

	I realize a lot of Celtic fans were glad to see Sherm moved, but don't you
agree that he could really play the point, at least better than anyone
we've had since?  I sure miss his bold excursions into the paint, the ones
where he'd shovel an improbable one-hand runner into the basket, over much
taller defenders.  He also was quite good at finding open players and
getting people involved in the offense.

	I'm sure the Nets are happy they picked up Douglas, especially now that
Sam Cassell is injured.  From the box scores I've seen, Sherm's been making
a pretty significant contribution to the Nets cause.  As for Chauncey
Billups, he hasn't impressed me too much with his point guard skills.
Maybe he's not really suited for the point position.  I think he is doing
pretty well for a rookie, especially for someone who's new to the point
guard position.  But doesn't there seem to be a general rule regarding NBA
point guards, that the top point players are rarely created out of former
shooting guards?  Almost like true point guards are born, not made?

	Don't get me wrong, I'm in no rush to give up on Chauncey at the point, I
just wonder if he'll ever acquire the skills that seem innate to the finest
floor generals.  Hopefully, Chauncey will pull a Magic Johnson and remake
the point position to suit his strengths.  I'd feel a lot better if he
began showing signs of developing into a penetration scoring threat, say of
Sherman Douglas's caliber.  It sounds like for one night at least, Chauncey
was taking the ball to the hole, which is encouraging news.  Could someone
who watched the San Antonio game confirm that Chauncey was indeed being
more assertive and taking the ball into the paint with more authority?  Was
he looking for the open man en route to the basket?  Thanks.

Joe Urtz
Cambridge, MA