No Subject

In message <v03007801b0e13c26ed44@[18.90.0.174]>, Theresa Lee said:
> I've noticed the tone of the mail has changed.  The timeline below
> chronicles this list's shifts in attitude:

 (Excellent summary deleted for brevity)

> Theresa
>

> tjoyce@mit.edu

Hear, hear.  Thank you Theresa for injecting some reality into this
discussion.

I think the Celtics screwed up big time by getting to 16-16.  They raised
expectations they will not be able to meet for the rest of the season.

This is a young, inexperienced team with serious holes in its talent base.
It has no legitimate center, no experienced point guard, and no starter with
more than two years experience in the league.  They have won most of the
games they should be expected to win (76ers, Raptors, etc.) and lost most of
the games they should be expected to lose, while stealing a couple (Bulls,
Lakers).

This team is a long way from contending for a playoff spot.  There is no
trade they could make that would make them contenders this year without
seriously damaging their prospects for the future.  Anyone who thinks there
is needs to lay off the heavy drugs for awhile.

We, as fans, need to be patient.  I want Pitino to build a
Championship-caliber team in a few years, not a 7th or 8th seed now that gets
bounced in the first round.  We need to let the young, inexperienced talent
grow up, and getting a lottery pick for the next year or even two will only
help to reach the long-term goal.

If the Celtics trade young talents like Billups and Mercer for underachievers
like Mashburn and one-year wonders like Austin, they are killing any chance
they might have for the title.

Let's be patient, people...the future only looks bright if we take some lumps
now.
--
Jim
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com