Expectations

I've noticed the tone of the mail has changed.  The timeline below
chronicles this list's shifts in attitude:

1996-1997	15 win season; only diehard fans write into the list, let
alone belong to it! We bashed ML and lamented over the long contracts,
CBA-type starters and the previous loss of Reggie and Len Bias as
indicators of the gloom and doom to come. We wished there was a savior
(Larry?  Brown or Bird....we weren't picky, just not ML) We were going to
get Tim Duncan so we better get a real coach for him. Low expectations.

Pitino hired: Our savior! Rick the Slick could do no wrong. Look what he
did with Kentucky, look what he did with the Knicks! Look what he'll do
with Tim Duncan! Oh, but look at what he's stuck with....long, expensive
contracts of low-producing players. Low expectations due to the coaches
limitations.

Ping Pong Ball Day Just prior to this day, we were salivating, waiting for
our #1 and #3 to come up. Indeed. #3 did come up, but not #1. Immediate
analysis of who we would take with the #3 and #6 picks ensued. Lots of
speculation regarding point guards and big men. Expectations rising, but
tempered by the loss of Tim Duncan (interesting choice of words 'cause we
never had him).

Draft Day: Billups with the #3 and Mercer with the #6.  Immediate
speculation about starting lineups with a lot of emphasis on Billups.
Trades, free agents make for frequent posts. Expectations going back and
forth as possibilities and scenarios are posted.

Pre-season: All losses. Talk begins about Billups. Team predicted not to
gel or win a shoelace tying contest., let alone a basketball game until a
deep freeze settles over Boston. Hey, we'd be happy to win 20 at this
point. LOW EXPECTATIONS...rebuilding, er, right?

Early season: The team chemistry is great, but the players are too young to
play against any real NBA players and win. Trade Billups!!! Then.....a few
wins pile up. The team becomes respectable...the expectations have
changed..........WE WANT TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!  (the playoffs.....did you
know where this team finished last year?)

Present: the C's go on a losing streak and the teams they must play in the
month of January are all better than the Cs with a few exceptions. Walker
scores 49 and now is called a bum by the perfectionist fans who will no
longer settle for "rebuilding" or "I'd be satisfied with more than 15
wins." Trade the whole team!!!!   WE'LL NEVER MAKE THE PLAYOFFS NOW!

Look from where we came and remember, Rome wasn't either. WE, the TRUE FANS
must be the most patient of all.

Theresa

tjoyce@mit.edu