Re: Whither Chauncey?

Hey Bob,

Welcome to the list!!

Many will agree that I have been defending Billups from day one.  In fact
I was elated when we drafted him.  I am still happy with his selection
for a number of reasons which I have alluded to many times in the past on
this list.

There are a number of postees, however, who do not share my optimism on
this young inexperienced guard based off of what they have seen over the
duration of a relatively short professional career.  At this point in
time, CB as many weaknesses at his position which the doubting-thomases
will use as evidence that he can never become a true point guard.  I beg
to differ, as I think that young players can be taught by great coaches,
and I feel that Pitino falls into that category.

But I also believe that you must accept the bad with the good.  I realize
it will take a team as young as the squad time to grow together before
they become title contenders.  It seems though that some other Celtic
fans do not have the willingness to accept that fact and want to
challenge the NBA elite teams RIGHT NOW.  Hence, the eternal damnation of
CB.  He gets an inordinate share of the blame for a low assist total when
guys are bombing away from the outside with little or no success.  He's
criticized by the color commentator for leaving his feet prematurely and
not finishing strongly.  He his flogged because people expect more from
the "3rd overall pick in the draft" regardless of the fact that he is
being asked to play a position he never played before against the
greatest players in the world.

I think everyone on the list want what's best for the team, however, they
also have the hunger for a top five team as well.  If they could
understand the need for patience, they would see this team contend in the
near future.  That is realistic.

Cecil