RE: Why did we spend the $ on a center?

I agree.  I think Pitino's decision not to go after a veteran big $ FA like
Sam Cassell and take some younger lower priced players has failed.  As
stated, this team is in drastic need for some veteran leadership in some
position,  the point would probably be the best.  It would have been nice
to keep Fox at a decent price, he has been playing excelent for L.A.  We
really need to lose some bodies and make a deal for  a Michael Williams,
Terry Porter, Bimbo Coles, or even Pooh Richardson to get some veteran
floor leadership. I believe this would open up the game for Travis & A.W.
and at least let Billups learn from a veteran instead of trial & error. It
really is the chicken or the egg, Billups can't get a lot of assist when
few others can put it in the hoop, and others have trouble if the points
can't break down defenses and make the passes for easy layups.

With the possibility of Phoenix not signing McDyess and pursuing Ike Austin
how about a 3 way there ?

Here are some ideas

Nash & McDyess to Boston
Austin and Billups to Phoenix
Knight & Bowen to Miami

Or

Nash & McDyess to Boston
Billups & Knight to Phoenix

Or

Billups, Knight and Barros or Bowen to G.S
Smith, Coles and  Spencer to Boston