Re: Sports - National Basketball Association Daily - 1/9/98

Hello everybody,

Something for all you to consider having.

reg
Kevin

---------------------- Forwarded by Kevin Lok/SINGAPORE/Outokumpu on
12/01/98 10:35 ---------------------------

pmm@igtc.com on 12/01/98 09:26:34

To:   Kevin Lok/SINGAPORE/Outokumpu
cc:
Subject:  Re: Sports - National Basketball Association Daily - 1/9/98

Kevin.Lok@outokumpu.com writes:

> Hello Celtic list keeper, Paul,
>
> Thanks for keeping me informed of the celtics. Great list and members. My
> blood's green too!
>
> I just found a site (and subscribe to it FREE OF CHARGE). Below is their
> first post to me and I thought it might be good for the list. Daily
updates
> of NBA activities are sent to subcribers free. You can check and
subscribe
> on our behalf visiting http://www.infobeat.com/
I'd prefer if you mentioned the site to the list and had people who were
interested subscribe directly.
Thanks.

-> Paul <-

The Pro Basketball Daily
Sunday, January 11, 1998
Your personalized e-mail news, brought to you by InfoBeat
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
                  INTERTOPS ONLINE SPORTS BETTING.
     vegas odds, no fees, no juice, no minimum account balance.
           sign up now and we'll add 10% to your account.
              true vegas odds on all games and events.
                   Visit http://www.intertops.com
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
News and Notes
PIPPEN SPARKS BULLS IN RETURN
During his absence from the Chicago Bulls, All-Star forward
Scottie Pippen demanded a trade. Saturday night, he showed why
Bulls' fans are glad he changed his mind. Pippen returned to the
lineup and immediately displayed the type of all-around game that
has made him one of the NBA's best players and the Bulls the
league's top team. He had 14 points, five assists and four
rebounds in an 87-82 victory over the Golden State Warriors.
Pippen missed the first 35 games of the season, during which time
he criticized general manager Jerry Krause, demanded a trade and
threatened to sit out the rest of the season. But his desire to
help the Bulls to another title prompted a change of heart. "I
don't want to penalize my teammates by staying away from the
game," Pippen said. "I just have to get back on the court and do
what I do best." Pippen, out all season after undergoing surgery
on his left foot, was activated from the injured list before
Saturday's game and received a loud ovation from the United
Center crowd. He started and scored the Bulls' first two baskets
of the game, leading to another ovation. He has been practicing
with the Bulls for more than a month and his return was a welcome
sight to fellow superstar Michael Jordan. Pippen was not part of
the decisive 14-4 burst that opened the fourth quarter and gave
the Bulls the lead for good. But in the last minute, he had three
foul shots and set up Jordan with an alley-oop slam off an
inbounds pass. "His Airness" scored 32 points and Rodman
celebrated Pippen's return with 16 rebounds and a new
leopard-skin dye job on his hair for the Bulls, who have won 14
straight homes games and are 17-1 at the United Center, the best
home record in the league.
IN THE PAINT
In other NBA action Saturday, Karl Malone scored 10 of his 24
points in the third quarter as the Utah Jazz rolled to their
sixth straight win and gave coach Jerry Sloan his 600th career
triumph with a 111-84 thrashing of the injury-depleted Houston
Rockets. Sloan became the 13th coach in NBA history to reach 600
wins. Sloan's career record with the Jazz and Chicago Bulls is
600-370. In San Antonio, rookie Tim Duncan had 28 points and 16
rebounds and David Robinson added 24 and seven to lead the Spurs
to their 11th straight home win, a 109-67 romp over the
Sacramento Kings, who had a season-high four-game winning streak
stopped. In Milwaukee, Andrew Lang's tip-in with 1.5 seconds left
in regulation forced overtime and Terrell Brandon and Armon
Gilliam had four points apiece in the extra session as the Bucks
rallied for a 95-90 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers. Ray
Allen scored 23 points and Gilliam added 21 and 10 rebounds for
the Bucks, who erased an eight-point deficit in the final 2:30 of
regulation to win for just the second time in six games. And in
New Jersey, Kevin Garnett recorded his sixth straight
double-double and shattered the Nets' comeback bid with a huge
follow slam with 25 seconds to play as the Minnesota Timberwolves
held on for a 108-101 victory.

DREXLER GOES DOWN, LEAVING ROCKETS WITHOUT A DREAM TEAMER
The Houston Rockets, already without center Hakeem Olajuwon and
forward Charles Barkley, Saturday placed guard Clyde Drexler --
the third of their former Dream Team members -- on the injured
list with a sore right shoulder. Drexler's status is uncertain
despite undergoing an MRI earlier this week. He missed Thursday's
87-80 home loss to Indiana, the Rockets' third defeat in four
games, and must sit out at least another five contests. A team
spokesman indicated it could be a rotator cuff injury. Drexler's
averages of 19.0 points and 5.7 assists both led the Rockets, who
now must face life without its trio -- all voted last year among
the NBA's 50 Greatest Players. Barkley left Tuesday's 100-70
blowout loss at Cleveland with what turned out to be a hematoma
on his right middle toe, an injury that is expected to keep him
sidelined at least until early next week. Olajuwon has been
sidelined since late November with a knee problem and likely will
not return until February after having arthroscopic surgery. The
numerous injuries have dropped the Rockets five games back of the
first-place Utah Jazz in the Midwest Division. The Jazz took
advantage of the shorthanded Rockets to post a 111-84 win
Saturday night. Age appears to be catching up with the three
superstars and the Rockets, among the oldest team in the league.
Drexler is 35 years old, Olajuwon reaches that age in 11 days and
Barkley reaches it next month.
Since the Rockets acquired Barkley prior to last season, they had
not played without all three of their future Hall-of-Famers until
Thursday's defeat. Much of the offensive load will be dumped on
forward-center Kevin Willis, who was not even a starter when the
season began but has seen significant action at center due to
Olajuwon's injury. Willis had 32 points and 11 rebounds in the
loss to the Pacers and is averaging 18.6 points and 9.6 boards
this season. Willis is the only remaining Rocket to have played
in all 32 games this season because starting point guard Matt
Maloney also missed Saturday night's contest with a sore right
elbow. That injury leaves forward Mario Elie as the only Rockets
starter still in action. Maloney underwent an MRI on Friday which
revealed that he is suffering from acute tendinitis. His future
status is uncertain, but there is definitely no room left on the
injured list, with Drexler, Olajuwon and rookie center Serge
Zwikker already taking up the three available spots. To replace
Drexler, the Rockets activated second-year forward Joe Stephens
from the injured list. Stephens has seen limited action in two
games this season. Drexler led the team with 53 steals and also
grabbed 4.7 rebounds per game. He was shooting 44 percent from
the field.

Scoreboard
SATURDAY'S RESULTS
                1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH     FINAL
                --- --- --- ---     -----
BOSTON           15  29  16  22       82
ORLANDO          22  26  25  17       90

                1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH     FINAL
                --- --- --- ---     -----
TORONTO          20  25  28  29      102
CLEVELAND        21  25  11  36       93

                1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH     FINAL
                --- --- --- ---     -----
MINNESOTA        27  33  25  23      108
NEW JERSEY       26  20  34  21      101

                1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH     FINAL
                --- --- --- ---     -----
GOLDEN STATE     21  20  17  24       82
CHICAGO          12  25  20  30       87

                1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH     FINAL
                --- --- --- ---     -----
UTAH             22  29  34  26      111
HOUSTON          17  23  22  22       84

                1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH     FINAL
                --- --- --- ---     -----
SACRAMENTO       27  14  12  14       67
SAN ANTONIO      27  29  27  26      109

                1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH     FINAL
                --- --- --- ---     -----
INDIANA          16  14  29  25       84
DALLAS           20  25  19  15       79

            1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH  OT     FINAL
            --- --- --- --- ---     -----
PORTLAND     19  21  23  20   7       90
MILWAUKEE    26  17  21  19  12       95

Standings
ATLANTIC
                W   L    PCT  GB     HOME   ROAD   DIV   STREAK
                -   -    ---  --     ----   ----   ---   ------
MIAMI          22  11   .667  -     13-4    9-7    8-2   WON  2
NEW YORK       19  15   .559  3 1/2 12-4    7-11   6-3   LOST 1
NEW JERSEY     18  16   .529  4 1/2 12-4    6-12   7-4   LOST 1
ORLANDO        19  17   .528  4 1/2  9-9   10-8    6-5   WON  1
WASHINGTON     19  18   .514  5     10-6    9-12   4-8   LOST 1
BOSTON         16  18   .471  6 1/2 11-7    5-11   4-7   LOST 4
PHILADELPHIA    9  23   .281 12 1/2  4-10   5-13   2-8   LOST 1

CENTRAL
                W   L    PCT  GB     HOME   ROAD   DIV   STREAK
                -   -    ---  --     ----   ----   ---   ------
CHICAGO        25  11   .694  -     18-1    7-10   7-4   WON  2
INDIANA        23  11   .676  1     12-4   11-7    7-4   WON  2
ATLANTA        21  12   .636  2 1/2 11-4   10-8    8-3   WON  2
CHARLOTTE      21  13   .618  3     13-3    8-10   9-4   WON  2
CLEVELAND      20  13   .606  3 1/2 10-8   10-5    4-6   LOST 2
DETROIT        16  18   .471  8     11-8    5-10   4-6   WON  1
MILWAUKEE      16  19   .457  8 1/2 11-7    5-12   3-6   WON  1
TORONTO         5  30   .143 19 1/2  2-15   3-15   2-11  WON  1

Transactions
Atlanta Hawks -- Signed guard Randy Livingston to a 10-day
contract.
Boston Celtics -- Placed center Pervis Ellison on the injured
list with a sprained right ankle; activated guard Greg Minor from
the injured list.
Chicago Bulls -- Activated forward Scottie Pippen from the
injured list; placed center Bill Wennington on the injured list
with elbow synovitis.
Houston Rockets -- Placed guard Clyde Drexler on the injured list
with a sore right shoulder; activated forward Joe Stephens from
the injured list.