Re: Walker

In message <01bd1d10$4dab5c00$8edef4cf@comm01.asid.org>, "Kevin Robertson"
said

> What do you mean he doesn't make the players around him better? He is =
> the leader of the team and though it is only his second year, he is =
> showing the capabilities. Just his presence on the court in most cases =
> requires a double team, and that provides easy baskets for everyone =
> else. Hell, Jordan doesn't make players beter by passing off to them =
> (heaven knows he wouldn't do that, look at his shooting percentage) and =
> he's one of the best ever.=20

I am sorry, but I think you are off base.  Passing to the open man out of the
double team is *precisely" what makes his teammates "better", as well as
getting them the ball in positions where they can best utilize their talents.
Jordan's shooting percentage is not so great when he is double-teamed.

> Not every Celtic can be Larry Bird, so don't push him out of Boston =
> because he feels the pressure to be Larry Bird. Don't compare the boy to =
> anyone, because he has to find his own identity. He's not Larry or Magic =
> or MJ or anyone else. Don't pigeonhole him.=20

Here, I agree.  Walker has awesome talent.  If he can learn to use it to the
fullest, he will be a star.  If he insists on dribbling all the way on the
fast break into a triple-team, or in launching forced shots, he will be
another Dominique Wilkins.

> As for his foul shooting, I can remember another Celts legend who while =
> collecting three championship rings couldn't hit the rim from the foul =
> line if he tried, but he sure knew how to play against Kareem. Matter of =
> fact, I think his number is retired this year. So don't be quick to down =
> 'toine. He deserves better.

Do you mean Robert Parish, by any chance?  I do not have his stats handy, but
I recall him as a very good free throw shooter...not in Larry Bird's class,
but in the 80% range.

There really is no excuse for any basketball player's not hitting at least
75% from the line.  It is a matter of practice and concentration.  Coaches in
high school used to make their players practice this skill.  Now the players
just want to practice their fancy dunks.
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com