foul shots

>Someone who has more actual floor time than me explain how a guy can make 5
>clutch 3 pt. shots out of 5, shoot well (50%+) for his 2's, and miss FIVE
>freethrows.  What gets into these guys heads that they can't make the easy
>shots? They are called free for crying out loud.  One of the few things I
>could actually do well was make FT's, always being over 90% in competition.
> I can still do this horsing around.

90% is uncommonly good, especially during the middle of a real game.  I
don't know if anyone has done this over their career, have to check the
stats of Price, Bird or whoever else is really good.  Good shooters should
be able to make 80% of their free throws.  Anything less really
demonstrates poor concentration, there is just no reason for it when you
can drill jumpers from way outside with a defender around.  Even poor
shooters should be able to hit about 70%, or 2 out of 3 shots.  Enough
practice will build muscle memory, and you should just about be able to
make it with your eyes closed.  I know some people just have poor
coordination, and that can include some big lugs in the NBA.  But I still
believe they can do it.  And, if ESPN showed free throw highlights, or if
you got foul shots in pickup games, they probably would.

Matt