Re: The Celtics

Michael Joseph Byrnes wrote:

> Antoine Walker:  I have very mixed emotions about Walker. (snip)
> I almost hope that he does not make the
> All-Star team, because there is clearly so much room for improvement
> in his game.  Based on what I saw of Walker, I think he clearly has
> the talent to be a franchise player, but I am not yet convinced that
> he has the desire, work-ethic, and willingness to improve his game
> that is necessary for a franchise player.

OK, Antoine has to improve his shot selection and decision-making, but
to say he lacks desire and work ethic is ludicrous.  As a rookie, he
suffered through a train wreck of a season in which he got no coaching
or leadership from ML, and which could have completely discouraged him.
Yet he came back more motivated than ever: he's playing 40+ minutes a
game in the most physically demanding system in the league and has
elevated himself to being one of a handful of 20/10 players (and the
rest are Hall of Fame caliber).

Antoine is obviously desperate to prove himself as an All-Star, yet you
would deny him that reward because you've somehow decided he doesn't
work hard enough.  Well, he wouldn't have lasted this long with Pitino
(at UK and in Boston) if he didn't have a great work ethic.

The NBA is unquestionably a marketing machine, based on superstars.  If
Antoine makes the All-Star Game, it will be another step toward
credibility for the Celts (which will help them get a few more calls
from the refs, win more games, perhaps make the playoffs, and establish
a winning mentality).

Lastly, even Michael Jordan didn't win any championships until he got
teammates who were better than Jawann Oldham and Quintin Dailey.  In the
next couple of years, if the Celts get a quality big man and better
point guard play, Antoine will no doubt become an MVP candidate.

Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI

Are you connected with women's college volleyball? Visit
this site for a look at a talented potential recruit:
	http://www.netcom.com/~mdynon/Diane1.html