Observations

A very Happy New Year to all ye Celtics fans on this list!!

Finally got a chance to see the new-look C's in action (on TV, not in
person - Montreal isn't much of a city for basketball, so had to go to
Boston to do this). Had to fight off numerous aunts, cousins and sundry
relatives to get at the TV, but it was worth it - got to see the Spurs',
Lakers' and Suns' games. Sorry, Bill, would have loved to fill in for
you, but didn't have my computer around.

Impressions from these games:
Antoine Walker is probably the franchise player we've been looking for
since Len Bias and Reggie Lewis passed on. Some unkind words were said
last year about Walker playing for statistics and not for the team -
this is simply not true as this year's performance shows. He has really
stepped up and might turn out to be the steal of the draft - remember we
have to thank M.L. Carr for this!

Ron Mercer didn't get to play much in these games, but showed a lot of
finesse when he did. Very good moves to the basket and, coming off
screens, will hit the basket almost always. A great acquisition for the
Celts.

Chauncey Billups showed good defence and fairly decent offence. His main
weakness is the inability to drive to the basket - he brings the ball up
and then just sort of stands, dribbling away. I disagree with John
(Lyell) though, in thinking this guy should be traded. It would be too
soon.

Walter McCarty is a bundle of energy - there was one play against the
Lakers when he was down on the floor at the defensive end, absolutely
surrounded by Laker players. I am thinking - Oh God, not now - and Cousy
is groaning away in the background, when I see the ball actually leave
the swarm and go towards a Celtic player! Unbelievable - the guy is on
the ground with 3 Lakers surrounding him, and he still gets the ball to
his team-mate!! There was also that 3-pointer from the corner with the
shot-clock running down and the Celts barely hanging on to their lead in
the fourth quarter. Take him over Eric (sorry, I'm out for the season)
Williams any day.

Bruce Bowen - doesn't look like he does anything special and yet a major
contribution to the pressing defence.

DeClerq and Knight - doing much better than I hoped.

Dana Barros - actually driving to the basket, instead of taking
pot-shots from 3-point land.

As Dorine keeps reiterating, this Celtics team is FUN to watch. You feel
that they can pull off a win, irrespective of the odds and that keeps
your interest going. The only person I am disappointed with is Dee Brown
- he used to be my favourite player after Reggie Lewis - look where he
is today.

Venkat
(back in Montreal where it's a decent 30 degrees F).