Re: Upcoming schedule

> well.  By the time we get to April, it'll be too late.  And I don't see us
> winning 7 of 10 anyway having to play Orlando twice, Cleveland twice,
> Indiana, New York, Jersey, MIlwaukee, Detroit and Washington.
>
> That's a Cecilian expectation of 5, maybe 6 wins folks for the month of
> March.  I HOPE I'M WRONG!!

I do admit that what I said about the 10 games in April assumed a lot about
what happens in March.  I agree that it's going to be very difficult for the
Celtics to be in a position of only 2 or 3 games out of the 8th spot at the
end of March.  My thinking is that if somehow the Celtics manage to win enough
in March to stay in playoff contention, that the 10 games in April will be some
of the most exciting regular season Celtics games we've seen in a long time.

Even though it's not a great chance, knowing that an exciting April is possible
will make the games of March all that more meaningful and exciting to watch.

I suppose I'm also more optimistic than most about the effects of getting a real
point gaurd.
I think they can now be a threat both defensively and offensively, and I favor
them to win against any team that doesn't have a (healthy) dominating big guy,
and isn't a lot more rested than the Celtics.  I think if the Celtics can force
enough turnovers, or wear down the big guys, they can even beat some teams that
have a dominating big guy, by not allowing a half-court game.  Teams like Utah
and Portland are tough because they have both good ball handlers to beat the
C's pressure, and a Malone or Sabonis who can have their way down low.  Against
any other kind of team, even the Bulls, the Celtics will have a reasonable chance
to win if they simply execute up to their abilities and have the energy to keep
going for 4 quarters.  My main concern is that the younger guys may be getting
tired late in the season.

I think if they're not physically wiped out, they should win about half their
games in March, beating all the teams with sub-.500 records and a couple of teams
with winning records.  The problem is, that will still leave them about 4 games
out of a playoff spot, so you're right in that they'll probably be out of contention
by the end of March.

Jon Mc