Re: teams status next season

John Lyell wrote:

> Warwick stated:
>
> > Celtics definitely do not need a small forward. With Pitino wanting to
> > play Toine there (thats the way it looks bringing in a power forward
> > rebounder if he gets healthy next season and is re-signed) and will have
> > Walter McCarty, Bruce Bowen, Dontae Jones and Greg Minor as backups, I
> > see no reason to upgrade the position.
> >

> I don't think anyone was proposing picking Pierce, just discussing his
> draft range.

No, the post that I responded to said that the C's should get a free
agent small forward. Thats why I said that.

As for the 3 spot based on what I have seen only Mercer could
> play this spot.  Walker's game is inside where he has great moves not
> outside launching 3's all the time.  Unfortunately McCarty is simply a
> hustling version of Eric Williams, too small for the 4 spot, and not a good
> enough shooter, or defender for the 3 spot.

Agreed there, but, McCarty does indeed sound like a good 6th man for a
championship team..

>Bowen although a Michael Cooper type defender, can't shot from outside either.  Minor >is for the most part a terrible waste of cap space,  and Jones a big ?  With the draft
> loaded at the 2 & 3 spots filling this with the best available player might
> be the best decision, not trying to fill a center need and end up with an
>  Acie Earl or Montross.

I agree there. If we do draft there, we could easily trade the player we
draft or better yet, package Dontae and Greg (if possible) for someone
who fills the particular need of the team (Center, backup point guard).

 At least it gives us trade value, as we have seen.
> Imagine if we were to land a Pat Garrity, Clayton Shields, Ruben Patterson
>  or Matt Harpring and they turned into a Glenn Rice or Chris Mullin type
> shooter from outside ? We aren't going to land a Tim Duncan as a big man so
> we need to build in other areas.

Totally agreed.

Cheers,

Warwick