RE: 7.3 Million in Cap Room

If this trade does not help us with the cap in any way it seems we could
have forced Toronto to give us more.  They were under the gun to trade
Anderson why couldn't we have held out for a draft pick, or Wallace or
Camby  ?  Agreed Anderson is a uptempo point but he has not been durable
the last 2 season and that is why Portland moved him.   Hopefully Pitino
can rejuvenate Anderson to play with the potential he came out of college
with.  Either way we still have not did anything to answer our big man need
or the dire need for an outside scorer.  I have seen way too many bricks
this year already.

On Wednesday, February 18, 1998 4:36 PM, Shailendra K. Mishra
[SMTP:skmishra@dlsun660.us.oracle.com] wrote:
> No it does not, Pitino himself confirmed it on WEEI. If the C's renounce
Popeye
> &  Tabak it will free up 1.9+0.9 = 2.8 mill - (increase in Anderson
salary which
> will be 20% of his basic salary). Guys any way you look at it, we are
screwed. I
> have no faith in Pitino & Wallace getting us out of the woods both are
clueless.
> I am not Chauncy Billups fan but I still hate this trade.
>                               - Mishra
>

> > From JThorneST@aol.com Wed Feb 18 15:55:57 1998
>

> > This trade does free up 7.3 in cap room. Kenny Anderson's entire
contract was
> > picked up by the Blazers. A lot of discussion has been that Paul Allen
pays it
> > but it doesn't count against the cap. However, it does. I am almost
sure of
> > this fact, because while it would save the Toronto Owners some money,
the main
> > point is to free cap room, which they did. Think about this: why if
Paul Allen
> > is paying it would it not count against Portland's cap? Portland is
already
> > over the cap anyway, with the Rasheed Wallace and Brian Grant signing,
and
> > will be further over the cap when they resign Damon this summer. The
fact that
> > it counts against cap should mean nothing to the Blazers. Guys, we have
Kenny
> > Anderson for free, both in terms of Paul Gaston and salary cap
purposes. When
> > you add Tyus Edney's contract, we have 7.7 million in cap room. The cap
may or
> > may not go up so I would at least estimate that we will have 8 million
cap
> > space. I believe that the guy Pitino is targeting is Scottie Pippen.
Although
> > personally I would wait a year and take a look at Vin Baker,Penny
Hardaway,
> > and Antoine's rookie class. Speaking of Antoine, if we wait with the
cap
> > space, we would have to agree to terms but not sign him so we could
keep our
> > room. Isiah and Damon had a similar agreement so Toronto could purse
some
> > UFA's this summer, but when Isiah left, that agreement obviously went
by the
> > wayside. Other potential guys for us this summer could include Antonio
> > McDyess, Joe Smith, and Issac Austin. But Pippen makes the most sense
in my
> > opinion.
> >
> > BTW- I am almost 100% on that cap deal.
> >
> > P.S. Wonder if Barros instead of Billups still could have landed us
Kenny? My
> > bet is that it could have, if we made Toronto wait until the deadline.
If that