Re: Celt books

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Bird33 wrote:

> Hey everybody. For all you Celtic novel buffs, I'm wondering if anyone can
> recommend a good Celts book, preferably during the time period of
> 1976-present. I've already read, "Drive", "The Big Three", "The Last
> Banner", "Seeing Red", and "Nothing But Net". I know there are tons more out
> there, but my area isn't actually filled with Boston stuff, so if someone
> could help, I appreciate it. Also, I'm still looking for an "I Love Walter!"
> sound file if someone has it. Thanks again. You're in BeanTown now baby,
> BeanTown!!

Hi,

48 Minutes:  Start calling the bookstores and asking for this gem.  It
details every play of a game between the Boston Celtics and the Cleveland
Cavaliers during the 1986-87 season.  Lots of great anecdotes are weaved
in about players from both teams.  It's by Bob Ryan and Terry Pluto,
two of the best in the business.  You'll finish it quickly and wish there
was a sequel.

Unfinished Business:  Sports Illustrated writer Jack McCallum follows the
Celtics during the 1990-91 season.  Good book by good writer that gives a
good picture of what life is like in the NBA without the sugarcoating.

Selling of the Green:  Interesting book about how the Celtics have used
and abused their influence and power throughout the past twenty years or
so (concentrates mostly on the Bird era).  Some of the arguments are
laughable and I really don't think the Celtics are any more dasterdly than
any other NBA team, but it makes for a nice change of pace.

Don't Be Denied:  Fairly boring tale of M.L. Carr's life.  I think this
was written shortly after he retired, but well before his regime in the
front office.

Rebound:  Story of K.C. Jones.  K.C. is a great guy, but he wrote a boring
book.

There's an unauthorized biography about Larry Bird, but I think you'd have
a hard time finding it.  It was by a guy named Lee Daniel Devine.  It was
a little dry, but much more thorough than _Drive_.

Recently I raided the library in Salem, MA for their sports books and
there were two good books about the Celtics during the late seventies.
It surprised me to realize how many basketball books in general come out,
hang around for a couple of months, and then just disappear.  I guess
there just isn't much demand to keep them in print.

This isn't a book about the Celtics, but my all-time favorite basketball
book is _The Breaks of the Game_ by David Halberstam.  This *has* been
kept in print and can be found at some of the major bookstores.

Other books worth a look: Anything by Terry Pluto, including _Loose Balls_
(all-time great - the antics of Dennis Rodman have *nothing* on the
lunacy that went on in the ABA), _Tall Tales_, and _Falling From Grace_.

Happy hunting!
Dan