Michael Stewart

John Lyell wrote:

>Rookie center Michael Stewart was devastated after his West team lost to
>the East in the Rookie All-Star game ... Stewart, a free agent who plays
>for a minimum salary and still lives at home with his parents in
>Sacramento, was looking forward to spending the $1,000 bonus that went to
>each member of the winning rookie club ... "Oh, well, there are no
>guarantees," Stewart said
>
>I believe it is true that the kings have the same constraints the Lakers
>had with Travis Knight and can not offer him over a 25% increase. Does
>anyone know if this rule exists only if the team is over the cap which the
>Kings will be significantly under next year ?  He may be grateful to the
>team that took a chance, but money talks ask Travis Knight !

 ---------------

I'm not positive about this, but I believe that the restriction does not
apply because Stewart was not drafted (he was a free agent). Knight was
drafted (although not by the Lakers) so he was restricted to the 20%
increase.

By the way, Stewart is superior to Knight in just about every way. He will
have a lot of suitors if the Kings don't re-sign him.

And somebody mentioned Penny's $150 million demand. I have heard rumblings
that he is looking for a 7-year deal starting at $200 million (!). And I
believe those rumblings because the Penny trade rumors started coming fast
and furious right after that.

 -- Nunn