RE: Re[6]: VISIONS OF ML CARR...

John you certainly have a right to your opinion on this matter, that was a private matter until Ryan insisted on going public with it.  So be it.

My collection and the interest therein has been most fulfilling, and profitable (I rarely sell any Celtic items), along with very interesting at times.  I have never asked for an autograph from a player directly.  I don't hang out, as you say, as I don't have the time (at least now).  Everything I own has come through trading, or auction purchases, save for a few items that have come direct from Bird or Cousy.  How many people on this list wouldn't want to talk in detail about the Celtics with people like Red, Bird, McHale, Cousy, Heinsohn and Russell.  I enjoyed every minute, of these encounters and could tell stories they have related all day.

Of course people like yourself John, and Ryan only want to talk about trade rumors, and FG percentages.  I of course am interested in this stuff but realize if banner #17 is to come (and it will) it will come through steady and deliberate actions with the Celtic braintrust.  This entire thread started with a backhanded slam against ML, who made good and bad deals, bringing the likes of Walker to the team.  Let us not forget he still is an employee of the team, and an owner of 2 championship Celtic rings and at least one terrible towel.  The lack of respect for a great Celtic is sometimes galling to me.  These comments are the signs of short-term bandwagon fans, of which I never have been.  Of course my 6 year as only been a Celtic fan for about 6 years but it is not his fault he is only this old.  How many out there can say there kid has met McHale, Bird and Cousy (who knows him by name)?  What a terrible legacy to be leaving to my son.

I enjoy most on this list, as others like Gene and Dorine have related, the total respect and admiration for this team.  Stories of our experiences and knowledge of team history.  Recently posts on Bird and trash talking, and Bird at the 3-point contest in Chicago have been a blast. This is virtually unwavering.  The comments by someone like Nathan A. just today who went to the game last night are wonderful.  I myself am going to at least 2 games next week, and with my sons emotions I too get all excited again about attending another live Celtic game.

John you mention my memorobilia and having the kids over to trade cards; well if this activity makes me out to be some crazy person, then thank you very much, because activities like this are what are lacking in the spirit of today's youth.  It is too bad more kids don't want to hear about heroes, collect cards like we did before they were worth anything, and dream of seeing Larry Bird or Bob Cousy just one more time.  You certainly have a right to your cynical attitude, but it this kind of attitude that gives one reason to pause and worry about the future of this country.

Thank you for reading, if you think as I do about the good in sport and heroes for our kids let me know, otherwise flame away, (as the kids would say).

Later,
Greg