RE: LAST NIGHT'S GAME

Like you saif, there's one big difference between last night's loss, and similar performaces from good Celtic teams of old...simply put, this was an important game for the Celtics.  A contending Celtic team might be able to overlook a game against the last place team in the league because the win doesn't mean much in the standings and because they've already beaten better teams by just coasting.  This years team doesn't have either excuse.  Simply put, they aren't good enough to beat any team if they aren't putting out top effort.  Even in lackluster wins against Vancouver and Dallas, the team had to expend a huge amount of energy to pull out a win.  They aren't the sort of team that can win a game with a big fourth quarter after taking the first half off.

Moreover, this game really meant something.  If they are serious about trying to get to .500 and making a run at the playoffs, these games are the most important.  Sure, its great to go all out against Utah or Seattle, but even at maximum effort there's a good chance of losing.  Nothing is more important in building a winning team than puting out good effort against lesser and equal oponents.  It's only one game, but this road trip is the worst time for this sort of lackluster effort to show up.  If the don't have their act together against the bad teams on this road trip, being a .500 team is nothing but an empty dream.  Not being able to get up for a game against a weak oponent is an excuse a .600 or .700 team can make, for a below .500 team to make that excuse is pitiful.

On that same note, I'm a little concerned with Pitino's showcasing of Dee Brown.  I'd love to see him get moved, but last night was not a game to toy with giving Brown more exposure.  We needed our best players on the floor, and Dee isn't part of that.  He may be able to score, but I have seen few guards have as much trouble getting the ball into the low post as he does.  In the first quarter, Dee did more to mess up Walker's game than any on either team.  He kept throwing bad passes into the post..making Walker lose position.

Sorry to be so negative..but last night has really got me down.  It's only one game, but its a good watermark in determining weather the C's are a mediocre team, or an overacheiving weaker team...hopefully it will prove to have been a fluke.

Adam