From: Kevin Robertson <kroberts@asid.org>
To: celtics <celtics@igtc.com>
Subject: Trash Talking
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 1998 9:04 AM

I have two favorite Larry trash talkings.

1. In a game which had Chuck Person (one of Larry's close friends)
defending him, he told him at the beginning of the game he had a Christmas
present for him. About five minutes later, Person lost track of Larry and
heard him say "Hey Wesley." He turned to see Bird at the other side of the
court on the three point line and Larry drained it. As Larry was
backpedaling by Person he laughed "Merry Christmas."

2. The other being the infamous comment that brought the early eighties
ambassador of basketball, Julius Erving, to brawl with him. Larry had been
taunting him all game and the Celts were beating the 76'ers bad. After
humiliating him on one play, Larry ran by the then coach of the sixers and
said, within Erving's listening range, "Better pull him, the old man can't
take much more."

My favorite Larry trash-talk was from a story told by someone who
was trying to defend him.  It wasn't in your face stuff, but things like
when you guard him, he'd start yelling "Mismatch here!  Mismatch!."  By the
way, it was Michael Jordan who recounted this experience.

Matt

Kevin T. Robertson
krobertson@asid.org