Trash Talking

I have two favorite Larry trash talkings.

1. In a game which had Chuck Person (one of Larry's close friends) defending him, he told him at the beginning of the game he had a Christmas present for him. About five minutes later, Person lost track of Larry and heard him say "Hey Wesley." He turned to see Bird at the other side of the court on the three point line and Larry drained it. As Larry was backpedaling by Person he laughed "Merry Christmas."

2. The other being the infamous comment that brought the early eighties ambassador of basketball, Julius Erving, to brawl with him. Larry had been taunting him all game and the Celts were beating the 76'ers bad. After humiliating him on one play, Larry ran by the then coach of the sixers and said, within Erving's listening range, "Better pull him, the old man can't take much more."

My favorite Larry trash-talk was from a story told by someone who
was trying to defend him.  It wasn't in your face stuff, but things like
when you guard him, he'd start yelling "Mismatch here!  Mismatch!."  By the
way, it was Michael Jordan who recounted this experience.

Matt

Kevin T. Robertson
krobertson@asid.org