C's at the All-Star Break

Amid the constant backdrop of trade discussions and unhappiness at player
performances, and at the risk of being redundant, I want to say how much
enjoyment I have gotten from watching our team play thus far.  Sure I too
get frustrated when, for example, Chauncey makes a bad pass, but these
are the elements which rookies must learn before ascending to another
level.  I heard Antonio Daniels commenting today on how tough the
adjustment has been for him to the pro game.  This coming from a man who
has previously played the same position in college.  He said that he has
relied on the advice of more mature players on his team, especially Lee
Mayberry who he competed against for playing time.  Though I do not feel
that Billups and Mercer have the luxury of learning from teammates who
are that much more mature they themselves, I think they've done well thus
far.

While there are definite improvements which need to be made in order to
compete on an elite level, I feel this team has some ingredients to make
us more than just competitive in the near future.  No, I'm not talking
about next week, but rather for the next few years.  There aren't many teams
in the NBA that can boast the raw, young hardworking talent which we
have.  For sure, there are notable weaknesses, but wasn't one of Bird's
weaknesses considered to be his footspeed?  And wasn't Russell just
terrible at hitting his free throws?  And Don Chaney couldn't shoot.  And
the Cooz was too small.  And Maxwell too skinny ...

My point is, of course, that it has all been mentioned before.  The NBA
is a cyclical experience and we will rise again.  In my opinion, we are
rising now.  In all probability, we could win 7 of the next 10 games.
If we beat: Denver, Clips, Kings (Twice), Warriors (Twice), and the Griz.
If we lose: Jazz, Sonics and Blazers.

We would be 29-28 and certainly would be feeling good about ourselves
after such a left coast trip regardless of who the competition was.
Playing 3 games in 4 nights, with that third game being in Seattle, is
no picnic for any team.

Hang in there everyone!  Better days lie ahead!  Let's all cheer for Ron,
Chauncy and Antoine and hope for them to represent the Celtics this weekend
with dignity and grace, regardless of the outcome.  ENJOY!

Cecil