An interesting take on rumored trades.

Here is a very interesting take on the rumoured trades from a post
rec.sport.basketball.pro. - Mishra

> Well that was articulately worded.

> Anyway, here's a list off the top of my head of
> players I've heard rumored in various trades this
> season.  Many of these players are probably no
> longer on the market, if they were really even
> on the market to begin with, but this is at least
> a set of names that have been bandied about.
> There's more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

> Kenny Anderson

   ... Paul Allen has reportedly offered to pay the balance of what he's
owed on his Portland contract (many millions for many more years) to send
him to Toronto for Stoudamire. For his part, Kenny said there's no how, no
way he's ever going to play in Toronto. Ah, the games moody emotional
multi millionaires play.

> Isaac Austin

   Miami wants to perform some stunning NBA alchemy by transforming an
over acheiving backup center into Mitch Richmond. The Celtics killed this
three way trade last time (since it would require Chauncey Billups and Ron
Mercer to go to Sacramento and receive only Jamal Mashburn (!) in return.

> Chauncey Billups

   Reportedly, he's off the trading block,  but we all know how that
works.

> Marcus Camby

   Anyone who's interested in trading for Marcus Camby should call the
Boston Celtics. They'll be glad to make a deal for their Marcus Camby...
his name is Pervis Ellison.

> Elden Campbell

   The most obscenely overpaid Laker since AC Green. Even Hot Rod Williams
wasn't rewarded so generously for being a swing C/PF. I have a strong
hunch that any deal to ship Elden may have to involve a contract buyout of
some sort.

> Cedric Ceballos

   Look for him to go somewhere for draft picks and a waivable chump.

> Mario Elie

   On again, off again. Rudy T. is said to have bitched long and hard to
the Rocket's ownership about the effect of trading a solid veteran (not to
mention locker room leader). Mario Elie apologized about bitching about a
possible trade, and anything could happen, but after the importance of
Elie was emphasized in Houston, other deals seem more likely.

> Penny Hardaway

   I wouldn't be surprised. One way to look at the Orlando - Penny
situation is to look at from the viewpoint of ... the Dallas Mavericks.
New coach (Jim Cleamons / Chuck Daly) isn't jibing with star guard (Jason
Kidd / Penny Hardaway), and management sits with the coach. Of course,
Daly has hinted that he might not come back next year, which would make
any trade of Penny and the resulting Mavericks analogy complete, setting
the stage for lottery-dom and bitter fans for years to come.

> Eddie Jones

   As long as the Lakers have stopped kidding themselves about getting
Mitch Richmond for Eddie Jones straight up, this too could possibly
happen, although this would make kobollhog a starter *shudder*.

> Travis Knight

   He's probably off the block unless the Celtics get a somewhat competent
seven footer in return. Pitino has re-emphasized his assertion (first made
at the news conference where he announced Travis' signing) that it's going
to take time for Travis Knight to bulk up, and play like a center instead
of a power forward. The Celtics are dreaming of the playoffs, and yet,
will not die if they don't make them, making a trade of such a malleable
young prospect of his size and skills unlikely.

> Christian Laettner

   Pete Babcock is burning up the phones as we speak. Whether he seeks to
actually get something in return for Laettner, or simply scare him into
playing in his old form, is a matter of speculation left to the casual
observer.

> Matt Maloney

   His stock has gone down, as have all of his relevant statistics.
Sophmore slump, perhaps.

> Antonio McDyess

   Earlier in the season, the McDyess experiment wasn't working out. His
minutes were erratic, and his play inconsistent. That's all changed, and
both parties seem to be happy. Ceballos is almost certainly gone, but I
wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix (who will be one of the teams with the
most to spend on free agents this summer) retains his services for the
long haul.

> Tracy Mc Grady

   Ix-nay on the ust-bay. Once the second coming of Kevin Garnett, now he
looks like the second coming of...

> Jermaine O'Neal

   Yep.

> Anthony Peeler

   Anthony Peeler probably wrecked his trade value by his public crybaby
act in Vancouver. Trade ultimatums rarely work out (unless you're Charles
Barkley). Just ask...

> Scottie Pippen

   This was almost too convenient, Larry :) Chicago will never get enough
to replace him (not to mention what they want for him.. this summer they
wanted Boston's #3, #6 AND Antoine Walker for the privilige of less than
an entire season of Schattie). Scottie will stay until the end of the
year, and quite possibly, stay right were he is signing multiple one year
jordon type contracts for huge money.

> Brent Price

   He's got Matt Maloney's problems now.

> Mitch Richmond

   Geoff Petrie has been unequivocal in two assertions: If Mitch is to be
traded, it will be for a player of equal impact and calibre. He has also
made his incredible lack of pity for Mitch known as well. Nobody put a gun
to Mitch Richmond's head and made him sign a deal with Sacramento, and
yet, he did. His agent didn't plead for the right incentives, and as a
result, he's underpaid in a small market town. Both of these problems are
Mitch's own damned fault, and not the Kings'. Sacto has made it perfectly
clear they're willing to hold onto him until the last second of his
contract expires.

> Dennis Scott

   And yet, who'll take him? His contract his over in the summer, and more
than likely, that's when he'll leave the NBA for good. It was almost
frightening watching how quickly his stock plummeted (insert RoyNavarrism
here).

> Joe Smith

   Definitely, but the interest the Celtics had in him earlier has
apparently waned. Perhaps Denver would deal a pick + chumps?

> Damon Stoudamire

    Almost certainly, but to where? They may have to settle for the
Houston deal if no other teams will commit to anything more appealing. The
"Kenny Anderson syndrome" doesn't help the Raptors much either.

> Zan Tabak

   There isn't much market for him, really, and that leaves their center
position in the shaky hands of.. Oliver Miller.

> Nick Van Exel

   Perhaps Nick is a candidate for going to Toronto for Damon Stoudamire.
His history of erratic play and personality conflicts make him somewhat
damaged goods at trade time, and yet, he's still an all star, and could
net some value in return.

> Jayson Williams

   There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Calipari would trade
Jayson Williams unless they got a *real* center of at least Vlade Divac
quality in return. Jayson loves living in Jersey, and now that he and
JC have smoked the peace pipe, he loves playing in Jersey as well. He
recently said he's excited to be part of what could possibly wind up being
the best New Jersey Nets team ever, and his enthusiasm has bolstered his
teammates.

> Walt Williams

    Damaged goods with a bloated contract, diminished stats, and
increasingly fragile health. The only way he gets traded is if he's part
of a package trade with Damon Stoudamire.

> Kevin Willis

   Powerful goods with a modest contract, incredible stats, and robust
good health. The only way he gets traded is if he's part of a package
trade to get Damon Stoudamire.

> Now for the challenge: Somebody propose a monster
> trade that would involve every player listed here,
> work under the salary cap, meet a need of every
> team involved, and not screw any team over.

   Heh. That's pretty daunting. Instead, I'll add a couple of likely
candidates that you might have missed:

Brent Barry

   Doesn't want to stay in Clipperland, and the Clippers don't want to be
left empty handed when he leaves. He's almost certainly gone by the trade
deadline.

Dee Brown

   He narrowly avoided being traded for a chump to be named below. Rick
Pitino has been trying like hell to showcase Dee before the trading
deadline, and his 32 point 8-10 3ptFG night against Dallas probably didn
t hurt him any.

Pooh Richardson

   I will promise to publically take an oath of fealty to Rick Pitino
(standard stuff... pledge to stop a bullet for him, etc) if only he will
promise me that he won't trade any Celtic to take on Pooh Richardson. He
was nearly traded to Boston for Dee Brown last week, in a trade that
wouldn't have improved either team's salary cap situation, playing time
for either players, or team chemistry. In short, a lose-lose deal. Pooh is
a bum, and while Dee is a $3.5 million dollar bench barnacle, he brings
more to the table than Pooh, who is still a bum (obJudden).

Tom Gugliotta

   *gasp*! Minnesota... trading Googs? But Googs is a stud! Yes, and he'll
command studly dollars in free agency, which leads the Wolves further down
a positively Orlando Magic-esque salary situation, especially when it
comes time to make Marbury a deal. My guess is they'll deal Googs and bite
the bullet as the price to pay for retaining Kevin Garnett *and* Stephon
Marbury.