Boston GLobe article

CELTICS NOTEBOOK
Add one more three-way rumor

By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 02/07/98

EW YORK - The Celtics can't stay out of the three-way trade rumor circuit.

Earlier this week, there was talk that the Celtics, Magic, and Raptors were discussing a deal that would result in Travis Knight and Chauncey Billups leaving Boston. Now there is speculation that Ron Mercer and Knight will be dealt to Sacramento. The Kings would send Mitch Richmond to Miami and the Heat would send Jamal Mashburn to Boston.

Celtics coach Rick Pitino is a fan of Mashburn's, but not enough to deal Mercer for him. It is unlikely that Pitino would trade Mercer for the 6-foot-8-inch Mashburn straight up. Heat center Ike Austin would have to be included to intrigue the Celtics. Also, it was exactly one month ago that Pitino said on the record that he was not at all interested in dealing Billups or Mercer.

But the talk of Knight being moved has credibility. Following a meeting here among the NBA's general managers gathered for All-Star Weekend, there was speculation that the Celtics could move their 7-foot center.

Of course, the disclaimer to all this is that every season trade talks run rampant near the trading deadline (Feb. 19).

Worth his time

During his session with the media, Antoine Walker asked where Michael Jordan was sitting. Walker was told that Jordan elected to play golf and pay a $10,000 fine for not showing up. ''Ten thousand?'' he said. ''Nah, I can't give my money away like that. I'll talk to y'all for an hour instead of paying $10,000.'' ... Dee Brown was here last night. He is another Celtic who may not be in a green-and-white uniform when the team returns from the West Coast Feb. 25.

This story ran on page G04 of the Boston Globe on 02/07/98.
© Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.

Colin Hall
http://www.inet-direct.com/colin/

GIF image