Re: see? and more from bskball

>Last night's loathsome loss was what I am talking about.  Chauncey played
>terribly.  Our offense is a disaster.  I can't understand how Rick can let
>them throw up jumpshots as soon as they cross the ten second line, or why he
>hasn't instructed them to look upcourt as soon as they get the ball.  We
>haven't had a transition basket in weeks.  No one had more assists than five.
> Both celtics ball and pitinoball are known for passing, and this is a
>terrible passing team that barely can swing it around.  Don't blame the lack
>of a Shaq, either.  We need a point guard to run our offense.  It's as simple
>as that.  Antoine can't do it from the low post.  Here is another smart,
>informed letter from Bskball:

I agree that this is not a really good team.  So what?  They also are not a
disgrace to the game of basketball, which they were less than a year ago.
We are not going to win the NBA championship through the draft and by
picking up undesirables and teaching them Pitino's system.  And I don't
think that is Pitino's whole idea either.  If anybody thinks that, then no
wonder they are panicking!  But surely free agents fit into the picture
somewhere, along with picking up players that can improve, and good draft
picks.  But we do have time.  This is not going to be a championship team
this year, so get used to it.  Just because we don't go after every point
guard that might be available at any given moment doesn't mean we never
will go get one (or any other position).  Red Sox fans were freaking out
about Clemens not being signed (OK, I was one of them ;-)), and about not
signing this free agent and that one.  Then, a year later, they land Pedro
Martinez, and all that fretting seems silly.  Sure, they could have gone
after a lesser player sooner, but...

 As for Chauncey,
>would like to stay in Boston, he was excited about playing for Pitino,
>but I don't think he was ready for the NBA -MENTALLY, and Rick is a
>tough coach, if your not on top of your game 100%, the rest of the team
>will blow you by, and the way the Celts offense and defense runs, you
>can not make mistakes. Walker, Mercer, McCarty all played for Rick and
>know his system front to Back and thats why they play so well, if I were
>Pitino I'd trade Billups for Tony Delk, and complete the squad....

Maybe Billups is a more talented player overall than Delk.  How many years
did Mercer have to learn Pitino's system, which he apparently knows so well
now?  Lets see, he left for the NBA after his sophomore season, right?
Walker left after his junior season?  These guys learned it inside out in 2
years, with less practice and game time than you get in the NBA.  Going by
that standard, it seems reasonable that Billups could learn the system in a
couple of years.

Maybe Billups wasn't ready mentally for the NBA.  Few college players
probably are, particularly those who are practically teens.  He was drafted
based on what he was projected to be in a few years.  He hasn't been THAT
disastrous anyway, but he has been rushed into major playing time faster
than he would have been on a team that didn't completely stink for the past
few years.

In
>time I think Chauncey could be good player, but he is not the pass firts
>type of player, he wants to drive the lane too much and that works well
>for him, but the system doesn't really provide for that, and that is
>where Billups and Pitino have had problems. Billups has shown some real
>abilty and some real talent, and I think Pitino has seen it, and is
>willing to let Chauncey grow..... But Rick is in the hot seat, he must
>win ball games to keep the squad and the power he has, and if any player
>gets in his way, he will trade them, I don't care who they are (Look at
>Eric Williams)....

Rick HAS won ball games.  We won 15 last year.  If this team doesn't win
another game all season it was a success (OK, now going on a 40 game losing
streak would be cause for major panic, but I mean the total W's ;-)).  This
season has already been a huge success, and the second half only promises
more.

As for the deals I mentioned, they was talk of
>sending Chauncey to Toronto with 3 other players possibly Dee Brown and
>Travis Knight for Damon.... But the Raptors weren't really thrilled with
>that and said no....

Who would be thrilled with that?  Other than Celtics fans, I mean...

Matt