Re: Stern: Union Won't Kill NBA

Wow.  If this is more than bluffing, we could be looking at a
drastically different pro basketball scene next fall.  The NBA, as we
know it, could be dead.  But would that be a bad thing?  I'm not so
sure.  If the NBA does whatever it needs to do to start signing players
for next year I think there will certainly be a rival league.  But who
does this hurt more?  The owners are making very little profit now
anyway.  Neither league would be able to pay the players anything close
to what they are making now.  But that's what the owners are trying to
accomplish, isn't it?  Loser: The players.

If competition is introduced, the NBA has a huge advantage.  It has the
history and the teams that fans are familiar with.  All it needs to do
is secure about half of the talent.  The only chance the new league
would have would be if it was clearly more talented.  Even then, it
would have huge marketing and logistical hurdles to overcome.  The
timing of this, as Jordan retires, can't be coincidental.  After all, a
new league with Jordan to market might stand a chance.  But that's not
going to happen now. Winner: The NBA.

The players need to realize that, when you're trying to improve your
profit margin and one item takes up 57% of your revenues, it won't take
long to figure out how to save money.  The bottom line is that you don't
need two billion in revenues to make a couple million profit per year,
but you do if you want to pay 400 players 2.6 million dollars each.  The
owners would do much better in a drastic shake up than the players
would.

I still expect this thing to get settled at the last minute.  The
players have too much to lose.  It's just that I'm not sure I want it to
be settled anymore.  I wonder if I would prefer to see a much smaller
league, with less hype, less marketing and more basketball.  Chances are
when I finally convince myself that it will be a good thing, and I can
live without basketball for one year, they'll end up settling and things
will carry on as usual.  Until next time.

Jim